Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: What is the problem with Pannonians?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Greetings.

Read this first:
http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=107594

After having a discussion with multiple players, I'm confused. What is the exact problem with the Pannonian group? Why is it exactly considered nacionalist?
We never said we accept only Hungarians into the group, and we never ever turned down applicants due to their nationality.
The group name: Pannonia is NOT a nation, it is the historical name of an ancient Roman province (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pannonia_%2...rovince%29 ), which happens to be in the same area as Hungary, it does not even exist any more.
The names: the names do have Hungarian origin: historical figures, cities, castles, etc. We never said this is a convention, or the use of Hungarian names is compulsory. According to the naming rules, this is not against the rules, as it does not contain the country of origin (rule 3.5 Names of new characters should be set up with role-playing nature of our server in mind. This means that: - Country of player origin must not be used in character names.). Is the problem that we do not use French names as Council? I saw in-game "nation" using names of different origins, like Corsairs with English names, etc.
Roleplay: we follow Council lore and roleplay completely.

Please post your opinion on this, and help us fix the problems.
Admin notice would be appreciated.
Thank you.
--BUMP--
(11-24-2013, 07:44 PM)Ponge Wrote: [ -> ]Why is it exactly considered nacionalist?

(11-24-2013, 07:44 PM)Ponge Wrote: [ -> ]Read this first:
http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=107594

(11-21-2013, 10:04 PM)Thyrzul Wrote: [ -> ]
makes the whole attempt a bit suspicious of borderline nationalism, but then it is just that, mere suspicion. If that's not the case, sorry then, and I am eagerly waiting for what it will turn out to be in the end.

If you require translation and/or elaboration on my thoughts there, I can gladly answer in PM, but I recall being done with that subject on my part in that thread (and then at least three others bringing it back).
You are grouping together same-nationality players. A nationalistic club, really.
That sort of action usually ends up with ''the whole server is against us D:'' mentality.

Actually, the topic of the thread already indicates you are feeling that something is wrong. If one of your members does something wrong, it is natural for all the group to come under a magnifying glass. But usually such groups suddenly think that they are being mistreated as a minority.
I see it is a mere suspicion from your end (and the others), but the suspicion did arise about the Pannonians being nacionalist, and it will arise with somone else and some other time, too. We would like to avoid even the suspicion to precede future problems, and we want to root out all these issues while we are still only a group and not a faction.
The members talked about this in length and here are the suggestions:
we keep the ~}P{~ tag, but maybe with a different meaning (Parliamentarists - this has some connection to the Council effort of creating a Republic);
we shall reduce/eliminate the use of Hungarian originated names (though all group members have a free choice in names, as long as it follows the rules; I know RP-wise French would be preferred, this is still under debate).

Sindroms: yes, we see there is a problem, and we are trying to fix it, hence this topic. So far we have members from 2 nationality (I'm not sure if I am allowed to write the exact nationalities here); no player from other nationality ever applied to be a member so far, and we would not turn applicants down based on nationality if someone would apply.

We still await advice and opinions from the community to make the group better and more fitting into the server gameplay.
I'd also welcome some kind of Council-related meaning for the ~}P{~ tag.
Thank you.
I still dont understand whats the problem with those shipnames what comes from hungarian origin. There are already shipnames from any kind of culture and since they roleplaying a council faction, their names dont hurt anybody.
(11-26-2013, 01:56 PM)Ponge Wrote: [ -> ]The members talked about this in length and here are the suggestions:
we keep the ~}P{~ tag, but maybe with a different meaning (Parliamentarists - this has some connection to the Council effort of creating a Republic)

this idea works for me. changing the meaning of the tag and toning down ( you dont need to completely change other stuff) the rest would probably settle the issue for everybody.
I don't think there are any problems with the names or the meaning of the tag, we've seen a lot similar, but if you plan to be more than just a group of friends playing together, there are a few things you should reconsider.

First, how much sense does it make to name a ship french based faction in a french based house after something related to Hungary and it's history within Role Play. (personally if I could I'd put hungarian settlers on one of the european based sleeper ships) I think even such names could be backed with some story, just be creative. But still, I cannot see any problem regarding the names (+1 for Wraga's post).

As for the tag, keep it, but inRP a different meaning would make more sense. There shouldn't be any problems with it either. (not like with CCCP because I'm really sure the first thing that comes to you mind when you see it is "Le Cosmique Couronne Commandos de Paris ")

Anyway, check my profile for my skype, I'd gladly help you guys with anything you need.
(11-27-2013, 03:02 PM)Landers Wrote: [ -> ]I'd gladly help you guys with anything you need.

Same here, just drop me a PM.
Well, I can't say anything about your fine group here, I'll mention only that I saw you doing two things.

Saw one of you sporting the name "Battleship.Balaton" (you remember the rather large lake in the middle of Hungary, right? Tongue ), which, upon dying, yelled "For Pannonia". That's nationalistic, if you'd ask me. I'm romanian, and I try not to use any historical or cultural references of the country. Smile

This thread made me think of smth lulzy Big Grin I'll have to make a Valor named "Rendorseg" to be in line with you guys when we fight Big Grin

titan
Pages: 1 2