Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Enforcing an embargo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As part of my normal rounds in Rheinland in the Varyag I come across traders doing the diamond run constantly. As a die hard Hessian I do the most of what I can do and tell the trader that he can get diamonds much cheaper at a Hessian base and send them on their way. Often, however, I come across a few that explode and threaten to report me just for approaching them. (no tradelane disruption, no fire of any kind, no threat of any kind) Of course this kinda kills the RP but hey, can't win em all over.

The other day I was thrashing around as Basilisk in New York opening a few holes for Cardi smugglers and I started to wonder if it was possible as a Hessian to stop the Diamond run (one that directly effects Hessian RP) like the Navys of every house do. I wouldn't pirate them, just demand that they drop thier hold and destroy it on the spot. If they don't, well they go get a new ship.

Now every house navy can do this and levy a "fine" at the same time in whatever ship they choose, up to and including a Dread. How come this quassi pirating is not allowed for other factions such as Corsairs stopping the influx of passengers, Outcasts and MOX, and Hessians and diamonds?

*Dons nomex flame restistant suite* Good thing I kept this from my tanking days.
The Corsairs arent allowed to do it, neither are the AFA. Until there is some change in the rules, Lawfuls have certain rights, unlawfuls do not. Use of Cruisers for something like this is one of them.
Navies should not be allowed to use Dreadnoughts and Cruisers to enforce a fine. It's legal piracy, but it's still piracy.
No, it's not piracy. It's law enforcement. In terms of mechanics (order them to stop, drop cargo, charge fine), it might be similar, but the purposes and intentions are completely different. As a result, I see no reason why lawfuls should be held to the same restrictions as pirates.

I play a smuggler, and if I'm stupid enough to take a load of cardamine near a Navy Battleship, then I expect it to try and enforce House laws. Avoiding the law in all it's forms is one of the fun parts of playing a smuggler in the first place.

Anyway, to answer the original question, I agree that pirate groups, such as the Outcasts and Corsairs should have the same law enforcement rights in their home systems as the legal houses. If I'm ever stupid enough to haul passengers to Crete and run into a Corsair Osiris, then I'd expect it to blast me, too. As for smaller groups, I'm not sure that they should be allowed the same rights, since they don't really have a home planet where they're seen as lawful by the local populace.
' Wrote:Navies should not be allowed to use Dreadnoughts and Cruisers to enforce a fine. It's legal piracy, but it's still piracy.

When a pirate pirates a trader he is "attacking" the trader

When the Navy stops a smuggler it is the smuggler who is "attacking" the house.

Besides Pirates shouldn't have capships in the first place that are available to pirate. Their few capships should be defending their home base or something.
Hopefully if I can get my ID proposals through, it'll eliminate a lot of these issues, thus allowing Hessians to attack at will anyone carrying diamonds, Corsairs attacking passenger transports etc. It'll need a bit of an overhaul again though, once the economic restructuring is done, which is why I have not yet submitted it.
' Wrote:Hopefully if I can get my ID proposals through, it'll eliminate a lot of these issues, thus allowing Hessians to attack at will anyone carrying diamonds, Corsairs attacking passenger transports etc. It'll need a bit of an overhaul again though, once the economic restructuring is done, which is why I have not yet submitted it.

I hope they get approved. So many of the things that cause folks annoyance would disappear......

....at least until we find something new to complain about! :P
' Wrote:The other day I was thrashing around as Basilisk in New York opening a few holes for Cardi smugglers and I started to wonder if it was possible as a Hessian to stop the Diamond run (one that directly effects Hessian RP) like the Navys of every house do. I wouldn't pirate them, just demand that they drop thier hold and destroy it on the spot. If they don't, well they go get a new ship.

I've stoped the dimond run in a gunboat asking 3M donations.... Hell you could even earn money from stoping it... And you don't even need a cruiser.
' Wrote:As part of my normal rounds in Rheinland in the Varyag I come across traders doing the diamond run constantly. As a die hard Hessian I do the most of what I can do and tell the trader that he can get diamonds much cheaper at a Hessian base and send them on their way. Often, however, I come across a few that explode and threaten to report me just for approaching them. (no tradelane disruption, no fire of any kind, no threat of any kind) Of course this kinda kills the RP but hey, can't win em all over.

The other day I was thrashing around as Basilisk in New York opening a few holes for Cardi smugglers and I started to wonder if it was possible as a Hessian to stop the Diamond run (one that directly effects Hessian RP) like the Navys of every house do. I wouldn't pirate them, just demand that they drop thier hold and destroy it on the spot. If they don't, well they go get a new ship.

Now every house navy can do this and levy a "fine" at the same time in whatever ship they choose, up to and including a Dread. How come this quassi pirating is not allowed for other factions such as Corsairs stopping the influx of passengers, Outcasts and MOX, and Hessians and diamonds?

*Dons nomex flame restistant suite* Good thing I kept this from my tanking days.
Eh? But Outcasts WANT MOX! Other than that... they should be allowed, but currently aren't.

' Wrote:Navies should not be allowed to use Dreadnoughts and Cruisers to enforce a fine. It's legal piracy, but it's still piracy.
I say you have it backwards. The pirates should be allowed to enforce some contraband laws with battleships and cruisers as well.
It would be very nice to have non-pirate id's for some of the unlawfull groups such as Hessians, Outcasts, and Corsairs. My RP in the Varyag is not a pirate one. I always start off my patrols in New Berlin with a warning about getting near my ship durring my combat patrol. That would include interdicting trade (NPCs only).

I see it more like a u-boat patrol taking down supply lines rather then trying to make anything from it. My ship is above piracy. It would not be feesable trying to support a ship like that by looting traders. I treat it morelike a "navy" ship that has a support base.