Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Why Is The Individual Bounties System Flawed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Wcan't ignore the fact that people just aren't using this system as effectively as they could be. We have people making bounties on players, which in theory sounds super cool, but no one actually ends up claiming the money from these. Is it that the contractor never pays? Perhaps, though in my experience I have not seen this issue yet. Is it that the pay is too low? Well, we have that across a lot of boards, bounty hunting isn't meant to be a way of good income anyway *cough* BloogaL *cough*. Is it that people have to register for these bounties, and do not bother due to laziness? Possibly.
So what could be done to make this system better?
IMO, we should drop having to register for individual bounties. It's an unesscary process. People should just be able to see an individual bounty in the neural net, attempt to pursue the target, give who they are etc. in the comm and supply the screens of the collected kill.
What do people think?
Quote:7. All bounties must specify the persons hired to take the bounty before they can start collecting on it. Players using the Bounty Hunter ID may freely claim on lawful bounty boards without the need for registration, unless the board specifically states otherwise.

Bounty hunters can collect lawfull bounties without registering. So you are proposing the elimination of registering for freelancers too.
(11-30-2013, 12:08 AM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]Is it that people have to register for these bounties, and do not bother due to laziness? Possibly.

Well that's certainly my reason!
Raise the cost of renaming your ship to 25 million credits. Time limits are still the same, but this way, you really have to think about renaming a ship to avoid a bounty, and whether it is worth it in credits or not to live with the bad reputation.

Another problem with Bounties, is that, say someone sees that they have had a bounty placed on them. Nothing stopping that person from skype calling a Disco buddy and getting this friend to claim the bounty and split the credits.
Not much you can do about this, except appeal to peoples sense of fair play and that bounties are great way to create in game RP, and treating bounties like a cash cow hurts game play.

Yea, the getting the screenshot, the posting on the forums of said evidence and collecting the credits, is a bit more involved than maybe some people have the time for....but I do not see away around this aspect of it.

What about a /Bounty Ship command? is that possible?....so, you can instead of /givecash....a /postbounty, where you put money on a player ship to be collected by the Hunter/freelancer ect. that kills him, when the ship is destroyed, you get a message back saying Bounty on /target collected by X player and X player gets the cash. Might need some tweaking so that only ships allied to the ship posting the bounty are allowed to collect. Is that something that is possible?
(11-30-2013, 08:11 AM)oZoneRanger Wrote: [ -> ]Raise the cost of renaming your ship to 25 million credits. Time limits are still the same, but this way, you really have to think about renaming a ship to avoid a bounty, and whether it is worth it in credits or not to live with the bad reputation.
Problem with that - faction tag protection system. This would more than double the cost of setting up a new fighter for a faction.
(11-30-2013, 08:13 AM)Thexare Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-30-2013, 08:11 AM)oZoneRanger Wrote: [ -> ]Raise the cost of renaming your ship to 25 million credits. Time limits are still the same, but this way, you really have to think about renaming a ship to avoid a bounty, and whether it is worth it in credits or not to live with the bad reputation.
Problem with that - faction tag protection system. This would more than double the cost of setting up a new fighter for a faction.

Good point...
Eh....ship sales.

Instantly would add 25 mil to the ship price. Nobody will bother with selling snubs. Or gunboats for that matter. Or anything that can be justified to put 25mil in.
I really dont see why you cant just write a simple register thing. Its not so hard to write you IFF, ID, and stuff. It just prevents from having issues in the long run of what faction killed what or if it was a freelancer that do the kill or was it just a lie by the player.

dunno. registering makes sense though.

As i have seen even in school. Spend extra time and energy before hand and you dont deal with problems later (or less problems)