Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: FLhook and death messages
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Maybe someone else noticed, but the message is no longer "killed by", but "died by hand of"..
I saw a guy lvl 34 getting this message every time he dies, and I started thinking.
What causes the messages to appear for some people, and not for some others?
Yes, clearly they only appear to low level players, but not underlevels. So where's the trigger?

I was thinking it might be an armor upgrade, or something similar. I still can't believe that this problem can't be fixed.
There must be a way.

In a way, like Gronath said, team fights get the meaning without messages.
Now the team really wins, not the "last-hitter".
I'm not even asking you to make it like it was before. I'm just busting my head with the cause of it.
And I can't think of any other reason then cash/equipment/armor upgrade.

I'd like to do some testing in Connecticut tomorrow, with various ships.
Like, Starflier lvl 40+, Guardian under 34th lvl (though this works for sure) etc.

So, this is a thread for anyone who could think of a possible reason and/or boundary for a death message to appear.
I'm sure my last sentence made no sense at all. Oh what the hell.
We need them back.
Good for bounties and modder catching.

I think they only work for Underlevel kills. When one dies.
Like yesterday in Connecticut. I was bomber practicing and a Sunlayer plus CD exploded near a level 46 Starflea.
'=LSF=Sgt.Jordi died by the hand of RepEX*BT|ivr56 (2)' Appeared
(I forgot name but something like that)
There is a console command line you type and it appear to activate death messages for you during that session.

Lol--I forget what it is now.

I personally think it should be automatic. No other way to catch hackers or oorp cheaters with screens otherwise.
Now they work only when a starflier is killed, no matter what level he has.

Also the way I see it now it's not a bug.

What I don't like about it is how it was "introduced". Was it all that difficult to say: "We are deactivating kill messages"?

I see them as call for PvP whorage for some players that are minority on this server, true, But also I see them as easier way to claim bounty and easier way to catch cheaters. So I think we should get them back.

Skoko
Death Messages weren't turned off, they stopped working with the new FLHook which is required to go over 128 players. It is being looked into but it's not a top priority at the moment.
How come they work against starfliers no matter what level they have then?

Quite strange "bug".
' Wrote:How come they work against starfliers no matter what level they have then?

Quite strange "bug".

Exactly right, strange bug. As I said it's being looked into. As soon as we know what's wrong it'll no doubt be fixed. DBoy thinks it needs to be checked in the source code which will take quite a while as other things are more important at the moment.
I think it works for other ships as well, though I'm not sure.

Anyway, this deserves some attention, and I think it is fixable.
If it's possible for some ships/levels to have a death message, it's possible for all.
' Wrote:DBoy thinks it needs to be checked in the source code which will take quite a while as other things are more important at the moment.

Yep, I believe it's something in the source code. I spent a few hours today along with a few volunteers testing FLHook on a private server, and I really couldn't figure out why the death messages refuse to come up. So I'm guessing it must be something in the source code, and I don't have the knowledge to edit it myself. And as Del said, it isn't on our top priorities list right now, got to much on our plates as it is.
Pages: 1 2