Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Introduction and a quick question.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello there!

After a very long time away from Freelancer I figured I'd throw myself back in and finally try and get more into the multiplayer side of things.

I'm a fairly experienced roleplayer, having larped for years if nothing else, and I'm even running one of the local groups now (my uncle running the other one, and my dad having done so in the past. It runs in the family. Tongue).

I did have a couple of questions after reading through the various rules, not because they're unclear (probably Tongue) but because I'm curious as to the thinking behind them.

1) Something that caught my attention in the welcome thread:

Quote:What do you mean?

Well, if you're flying around as a Liberty Rogue on your little Liberty Rogue ship, it's considered inRP (in Role Play) to be using Liberty Rogue equipment on your ship. So no Liberty Navy guns!

But Liberty Navy guns are better!

Ah yes, but thinking about it in role, Liberty Navy guns would probably fit onto the ships in a different way. Anyway, if you're a Rogue you need to be a Rogue. No bits and pieces of each.

I'm a bit confused about the thinking here. If it's that, for this example, Rouges cannot use this equipment legally then that's fair enough and I would very much agree with that, but if it's flat out against server rules then... really? I would argue that any pirate or mercenary worth their salt who that travels around the galaxy would pick up the best equipment they could, legally or otherwise. On their head be it if they get caught with such equipment!

You could argue that the equipment literally wouldn't fit but if you're buying black market military weapons then jury rigging the whole thing seems likely to me.

On what's considered cheating:
Quote:Disabling vSync to gain a framerate of 160 or higher.

This one is purely curiosity. Does going over 160 really give that much of an advantage? I figured it stop being worth trying to squeeze out extra FPS at 120 or hell, even 60.

Also, what happens if you have vSync on and you still go over 160? Or does the game code make this impossible? I've not played in a long time and had a fairly naff PC at the time. Tongue

I think that was it. Hopefully I'll be joining you all in the big black soon enough!
- Disc
Most balancing stuff done on Disco is purely with out of RP reasons in mind. While it would make sense for any lone freelancer or merc to get the best of the best, some ship combinations would break the game and need to be physically prohibited.

As far as for the FPS, the high FPS the game has to dish out sort of messes with the game process and in turn, makes you jitter around uncontrollably, making you virtually untouchable. This is now considered cheating.
Ahhh, fair enough!

Wow, I had no idea the FPS would mess with the game so much. The quirks of older games I guess.
Apologies for the double post (and if this question is answered elsewhere, I couldn't find it).

Since coarse language is a no-no here (and that's fair, it's not for everyone), are there alternatives that are commonly used? Something for more "colourful" characters to use without actually being colourful?

Normally I'd go with what felt right at the time but since Discovery has been going on a while and has a lot of established player driven aspects I figured I'd ask first. Tongue
(12-04-2013, 08:46 PM)Disc10 Wrote: [ -> ]Apologies for the double post (and if this question is answered elsewhere, I couldn't find it).

Since coarse language is a no-no here (and that's fair, it's not for everyone), are there alternatives that are commonly used? Something for more "colourful" characters to use without actually being colourful?

Normally I'd go with what felt right at the time but since Discovery has been going on a while and has a lot of established player driven aspects I figured I'd ask first. Tongue

I believe that course language is for the uninspired, there are so many ways to insult someone without using it. Even my farmer character who is an old dirty bastard (physically) has lines for the filthy Synth corporatists. I don't know of any cursing conventions but you are free to come up with some.

And welcome, glad to see you here. We need more people who ask this kind of questions.
Quote:Since coarse language is a no-no here (and that's fair, it's not for everyone), are there alternatives that are commonly used? Something for more "colourful" characters to use without actually being colourful?

Firstly, welcome. In regards to above, I guess this really depends on your ability and experience with the English language in-general. Having grown up with it, I can tell you there are literally thousands of excellent combinations of "colorful" speech you can use instead of reducing yourself to the easy-but-unintelligent four-letter-words that will likely get you sanctioned.

You wanna be course....be course without cussing. If you're too unimaginative to do that, then don't RP as a course individual. Best advice I can give you, really.
Undoubtedly! Sometimes however a nice simple cuss really fits the moment, even if it's not a real one. Tongue

Thanks for the welcomes and quick responses, once I have everything nailed down I think I'm going to have a good time here.
Is this who I believe?