Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Close it down
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am seeing many people abusing the open registration to the wiki by opening foolish&un-related material, mostly advertisments and space has to sit with the del button. I suggest to close the registration asap.
On another note, im currently finishing adding the rest of the new stuff in 4.87
So how do you plan to accept registrations by new legitimate users? Have them PM a wiki admin? Maybe we could have a system where any existing user can create a new user for someone else?
Yeah, really. PM them on the forums and ask for permission. Not like many are applying to help with the wiki.
To be entirely honest, I don't care much about having to delete a few pages now and then. It was a lot, lot, worse before we got Abusefilter a year ago, when we were seeing the same amount that we now get in over a week over a single day. What I'm not such a huge fan of, however, is the enormous amount of new spambot user account registrations that we see now versus earlier that's clogging up the recent changes log, and particularily for users who haven't got "enhanced recent settings" on in their preferences.

-

(12-14-2013, 07:27 PM)Alex. Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe we could have a system where any existing user can create a new user for someone else?
That's a rather neat idea. Should be simple enough to implement using a thread in this subforum for making requests for a wiki user account, and by giving the "user" group "createaccount" rights plus a short guide to making new user accounts.

It's a lot better than the "PM-a-sysop" solution, at least, even if you're planning on showing up more often for that purpose; I rarely see you around besides for when you happen to pop in after getting what I presume is an email notification from the Wiki subforum. : (

PS: It's nothing much to worry about, though. I presume you've got other things to do nowadays, and there's normally not all that much sysop-only work for me to do anyhow beyond experimenting with the abuse filter and deleting spam. Most of the rest is stuff that "anybody" can do.

-

PSS: If there are a few more (positive) replies to this over a few days, or none over a week or so, I'll probably make a new poll and ask around to see what people think about it and then contact Blodo, Cannon or somebody else with FTP access and see what can be done about it at some point. It's a nice and simple idea for getting the spam problem out of the way, at least, and it doesn't have all that many obvious drawbacks either. It could even possibly allow us to disable the rather agressive (and/or broken) spam filters that we've got now in the long run.