Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: You know what we need? A hotspot.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
And no, no New York or Magellan/Leeds.

More like...Sigma 13 4.83 hotspot. Like...Dublin 4.85 hotspot.

You know. Bunch of money to be made, attracting a LOT of pirates, which in turn attract a lot of BHs and Mercs as well as the overall lawfuls.

We need a system like that. Yes. A big, always boiling, always active mess of profit, risk and anger.
(12-18-2013, 01:59 PM)sindroms Wrote: [ -> ]And no, no New York.

More like...Sigma 13 4.83 hotspot. Like...Dublin 4.85 hotspot.

You know. Bunch of money to be made, attracting a LOT of pirates, which in turn attract a lot of BHs and Mercs as well as the overall lawfuls.

We need a system like that. Yes. A big, always boiling, always active mess of profit, risk and anger.
Bring back Dublin!
I said this on Skype yesterday, yo. Instead of scaling down the universe, get people to go to specific parts of it to increase the frequency of encounters.
We've got Alberta. Try going there without being pirated! Almost guaranteed interaction, that system draws people unless it's empty.
Hotspots existed throughout disco and -always- had a mod-feature-related initial reason for existing. Once upon a time - it was Cambridge and theta - both ends of a lucrative trade route, theta also being well-connected. Sigma13 was also popular due to jumphole connections. The upper taus - because IMG started actually mining, CR wanted to conquer the galaxy and outcasts wanted to get high.

And while I approve of the new commodities and price balancing, I do NOT approve of Disco's galaxy map growing to ridiculous proportions, killing just about all the hotspots that existed before. So yeah, keep at it, buffer gamma from alpha! And enjoy the perfectly balanced trade distances. And watch the player interactions die out because nobody can be bothered to fly ridiculous distances.
(12-18-2013, 02:09 PM)Technogeist Wrote: [ -> ]We've got Alberta. Try going there without being pirated! Almost guaranteed interaction, that system draws people unless it's empty.

I've done dozens of traderuns on an LPI- Bison from Texas to Alberta. I didn't know there were pirates anywhere along the route.
Definitely not a Dublin-esque hotspot.

Edit: Recently LH~'s activity is picking up, so I suppose that makes Ontario a more dangerous place.
We do not need one hotspot.

We need a few. My suggestions:

T23, Dublin, O7

That would automatically increase the bottleneck activity in:

> Kusari-Rheinland corridor (Connection between Taus to Rheinland)
> Kusari-Liberty corridor (get rid of 1 system; Kepler OR Gallileo)
> California bottleneck (remember the last lane before NY gate?)
> S13 bottleneck (horrible atm already. Tense action should evolve there)
> Stuttgart bottleneck (already tense sometimes now)

Unlawful factions would profit: OC (Taus, Sigmas), Sairs (Sigmas, Rheinland), House unlawfuls... the only thing I am missing is how to include Gallia here. But I do not know Gallia well enough to suggest things.

I would do it by upping the ore prices and generally all commodity prices at the main planets/stations in the main system. Malta, Crete, etc included, of course. Goal: create strong "magnets" where most goods go to.

As the starting point for most commodities is clear, and the end point is clear, and a majority of people would focus on a few routes, interaction would become more likely even in a huge universe.

Short version:

> Increase the prices that Capital systems pay for the goods => traders prefer to drop their goods there
> Consequently increase the activity in the bottleneck systems that are around the destination systems

I think Disco would benefit from that a lot.
(12-18-2013, 02:25 PM)Jack_Henderson Wrote: [ -> ]I would do it by upping the ore prices

))))

In all seriousness, though, we need a few places that are more profitable to be in as a trader, miner, smuggler, anything. Basically "guide" people through a certain corridor. That'll get pirates to camp the place, lawfuls to try and exterminate the pirates, and so forth.
(12-18-2013, 02:22 PM)Haste Wrote: [ -> ]I've done dozens of traderuns on an LPI- Bison from Texas to Alberta. I didn't know there were pirates anywhere along the route.
Definitely not a Dublin-esque hotspot.

Edit: Recently LH~'s activity is picking up, so I suppose that makes Ontario a more dangerous place.

Nah, not trade runs, you won't be in the system long enough to be caught. But you stay in there long enough to fill up a transport or two with ore for people and LH or indie pirates are bound to log in soon enough. Seeing people in Alberta when I'm scrolling through the player list catches my eye every time. Only reason I don't log in my pirate there is if I'm busy or too lazy. Usually the latter, honestly. Or if there's like 3 LH and a few other known pirates there, that's stopped me going more than a few times. Don't trust those LH guys not to shoot at my pirate!
(12-18-2013, 02:09 PM)Panzer Wrote: [ -> ][words]

Pretty much this. Hits the nail right on the head. Everything is far, far too spread out these days. Who cares if there are 500000 trade routes, all finely honed to be the same level of efficiency, if you don't ever run into anyone on the way because the mod is so bloated?

The few dead-end systems that have already been added is a good start, but I'd say we need even more. For example, the Ontario-Alberta merge would be a nice continuation, I think, with a bit of polishing.

(12-18-2013, 02:25 PM)Jack_Henderson Wrote: [ -> ]My suggestions:

T23, Dublin, O7

lol
Spot the link?
Pages: 1 2 3