Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: CD's aggrevating bases.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, so.

I know this has been a feature of Freelancer for a long, long time and it may have been brought up before BUT...quite frankly, I find it ridiculous.

Why is it that it's possible to fire at a base for a fair amount of time, likely doing more considerably more damage to the base InRP; yet one CD will set it on full alert and will gun you down with it's already OP flurry of pulses and hull-busting turrets.

There are 3 reasons that I've found that make this a bit silly.

Base Hugging

We all hate it when someone's close to death and so they run for a base, friendly or not. Yet no, they won't end it by docking, they'll circle around it through all the nooks and cranny's, essentially to troll you until they see it fit to dock. Now, a good tactic is to mine-trap them by going round the opposite way and dropping one. A better way to blow it up on cue is to CD them as they pass, ensuring they get hit. But no! Base doesn't like this minor inconvenience and begins firing for all it's worth at you, possibly losing you a fight that is completely yours to win! It's undeserved and quite frankly unfair.

Fighting near bases altogether

Links into the first point but is still relevant on it's own. If you're fighting a near base, one on one or in a group. Seeing as mines are a large part and valid tactic (apart from your ridiculous spammers out there) of PvP, it'd be nice to be able to use CD's without the base thinking you're the next apocalyptic event of Sirius. If you're trying to stop a transport and you're not thinking, being punished with possible death/a lot of damage...nah. Piracy is hard enough as it is, guys.

Conn

It's just inconvenient really. It can tip the balance of a fight. Yes, before you say it, you can just move away but if a rogue CD gets too close before impact, it's just really quite irritating then having to suicide and spend more money on ammo and repairs when the base could just sit there peacefully and not care. Plus, i'd imagine some slower computers may get some FPS issues from it.

In conclusion, both In and out of RP, it makes no real sense. Unless i'm missing some massive factor about CD's. In which case, please enlighten me.
Yep. That is a stupid part.

CDs should not have that effect on bases.

CDs angering bases is also bad because it encourages base hugging. The hugger (who is generally perceived as annoying) doesn't have to use them, while the attackers are forced not to use it. The party trolling/annoying the other side should not have an additional advantage, especially when it comes to a "low move".
People shouldn't have an advantage for having greater numbers either, yet they do.

Your argument is invalid.
How is it invalid?

Greater numbers and a missile that's not designed to damage are completely different concepts.
(12-18-2013, 03:32 PM)MiniStryke Wrote: [ -> ]How is it invalid?

Greater numbers and a missile that's not designed to damage are completely different concepts.

The combat being unfair is invalid, not the ridiculousness of a CD making a station aggro.
cd aggro is intentional - its a way of remaining in rp. you're fighting near a base, with players from that faction, but the base isn't hostile to you. loosing off a cd rectifies this.

now that rephacks have been installed, do we need this feature anymore?

can it be set so that it takes 3 cds to taunt the base, rather than one?
I agree, bases going lockdown on my ass because I fired a CD that would potentially help kill one of their own enemeis.
I agree with Lythrilux, too. Or at least increase the number of missiles needed to upset the base, as Coin said.