Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The Colossus is bad
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Okay, so I made a thread about this a long time ago, but nothing's really changed and I'd like to address this again.

The Colossus compares poorly to other 5k transports. Let's look at what advantages they offer.

Shetland: Armor
Mastodon: Regens
Ryuujin: Turrets
Pachyderme: Size, Turrets
Stork: Size, Turrets, Cargo pods
Whale: CM, Speed, Size
Colossus: ???

It is absolutely enormous. It has defenses no better than the Mastodon or Shetland, with two of its three turrets firing only forward.
Unlike the Mastodon or Shetland however, it doesn't have massive survivability due to extra armor/regens.

It doesn't need a massive adjustment, just a buff in some category - more armor or regens, more turrets/better arcs, something.
Right now it's simply inferior to other 5ks.
/confirm
I agree that the transport is bad.

However, I would tackle the problem from another direction:

It needs to be shrunk to the same size category as other transports of the same class. It -is- enormous and Disco has this "It's fat, it dies horribly" motto. I have never seen any ship with a fat hitbox that was fixed by changing stats.

The mistake it the size. Fix the size, I would say.
Size is definitely an issue on the Colossus. Park it next to a Stork, it's just ridiculous.
It would need a more major model adjustment than just scaling it down though, for the windows to fit and such.

Aside from that, the infocard description, and indeed the name itself, don't really match the "slim and hard to hit" approach, but otherwise it would be viable.
Shetland is huge but still quite survivable (as in, it can thrust from most bomber pirates simply by absorbing damage like a sponge). Scaling is not the only solution.

Especially against other transports, having a decent number of turrets like the Pachyderme can be a decent deterrent. A Cap8 Charon Pachy versus a UAU8 Charon Taureau might not be a completely hopeless fight, for example.
(01-10-2014, 04:38 PM)Haste Wrote: [ -> ]Shetland is huge but still quite survivable (as in, it can thrust from most bomber pirates simply by absorbing damage like a sponge). Scaling is not the only solution.

Especially against other transports, having a decent number of turrets like the Pachyderme can be a decent deterrent. A Cap8 Charon Pachy versus a UAU8 Charon Taureau might not be a completely hopeless fight, for example.

Confirmed for not knowing anything about transports. Get out.
Pachy vs Colly

Alright thats a SS I got of a Pachy compared to the Collossus

thats aside, I think that based on its Infocard it should have a larger Hull its infocard states it

Quote:A beast of a ship designed to laugh off the concerns of traversing the burning asteroid fields of Dresden and the Omegas, the Colossus is equipped with special armor plating and enormous cockpit shields that grant it the ability to plow through whatever obstacles are foolish enough to loom before it, natural or otherwise.

More than one such vessel has come into berth with fresh detritus of pulverized asteroids melded into her frame... Or a would be pirate not quick enough to get out of the way while issuing vain demands.

It seems to be stating that its ment to have higher armor I always pictured Rheinland Transport having the highest Armor in exchange for Firepower.

but thats my outlook on it

Also on the note about the Pachyderms benefits, I think it is its size it feels really Small for a 5ker.
What Burak is getting at: Having a good handful of turrets is indeed a good deterrent, but certainly not against other transports. They will stay out of effective range easily if they have any clue what they're doing.

(01-10-2014, 04:48 PM)Vulkhard Muller Wrote: [ -> ]Also on the note about the Pachyderms benefits, I think it is its size it feels really Small for a 5ker.

It is, meant to add that.
To me, it would make sense to buff the Colly's armor a bit, but maybe not as much as the Shetland. The Shetland's armor IS its only benefit, because its turret is useless for anything other than dropping a lane behind you to buy getaway time.
(01-10-2014, 04:19 PM)Jack_Henderson Wrote: [ -> ]The mistake it the size. Fix the size, I would say.

But then it wouldn't be a colossus anymore Sad
Pages: 1 2