Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Something just hit me
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently borrowed my friends copy of Homeworld, and I was surprised to see some familiar ships in Homeworld in Discovery, then I realized they were imports.

This is what hit me.

We have Battlestar Galactica ships and a faction roleplaying them.

Why don't we have a Homeworld (Taiidan/Kiith Somtaaw/Kushan/Turanic Raider) faction/s?

We could be sitting on a powderkeg of RP, but the only problem I see is what bases would they have and how would they affect things in Discovery politics... And, I think they are human, so they could be some 'distant friendly' human clan? :wacko:

Why haven't I seen Homeworld factions and RP'ers!! I am going to start a character since I now have the room.

I may even start a 'Beast' character, but that would slot me into the terrorist role since they 'consume or absorb' their victims and use their ships.

Feedback?:rtfm:
Because we are trying to replace the imports with more FL or original ships.
Disco is still about being Freelancer, not the many other space games that
are out there, and just because we have dropped Singleplayer support
doesn't mean we should bring in more "other" factions, from the "other" games.

It's one of the attractions of Disco is it's alignment with Vanilla FL.
I think Taiidan / etc do not fit into this universe very well.

If you bring in "other" games, then Disco will turn into "just another mod".
Discovery reminds me of the Shockwave mod for C&C Generals. If you don't know it, it was one of or the most popular mod for the game and still is.
Mainly because it simply built upon the game. They added plenty of new units etc (Much like Discovery and ships) but they were added in a non-retarded fashion and were balanced (Much like Discovery, save for bombers)

All the same, Discovery is unique and it would take a LOT to make it 'Just another mod'.
The Battlestars etc could be replaced but that would remove the CR from the mod too. Then again, removing a faction based upon imports may not be a bad idea. Each to their own?
teeheee

Try n' kick s out!

We won't use vipers, we'll use something else. Right untill there's only the starflea left.
Personally I think its a bit of a disapointment when you suddenly get STAR WARS BATTLECRUISER YEAH when it looks so out of place to everything else.

You never know though some ships dont look so bad.
Import (non Freelancer) factions are usually frowned upon... the only reason the CR are around is because they've been here forever, and we couldn't get rid of them if we tried...
See, we can't use imports since the discovery universe needs to stand in contrast to other universes to successfully maintain its own clients.

The disco community, as it is developing these days, is actively seeking to become an own, unique and closed universe that attacks people without selling it self to vipers and X-Wings to play an eye catcher for new players. Disco has the ultimate aim to stand on its own feats.

Now if we really stop these efforts and create homeworld factions, we will attract a very small group of homeworld players that will fail to integrate into the alien universe that surrounds them and thus wont benefit the community. Chances are high that they might even leave after the homeworld ships are gone. So why should we attract them in the first place if they only want to play homeworld and not disco?

You are right. The Homeworld-Ship list is DAMN log. Infact its the most imported universe in discovery. But many of our modelers are doing their best to replace these ships (which by the way already have some in-Disco infocards) to maintain a higher consistency of players who enjoy THIS particular universe. The FL universe.

Edit: Check out the complex mod for Homeworld 2 btw. its so damn awesome:D
http://www.homeworld2complex.com/downloa...24x640.zip
*walks in*

*reads OP*

*shakes head, muttering*

*walks away*