Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Idea: PoB Station Scanners
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know I know. PoBs are OP already. I can take the rush of you PoB haters but please listen. The thing I'm proposing is nowhere a game breaker and makes sense inRP (imo).
It's been many times that I was landed on a PoB and before launching to space I'd really like to look out the window to see if there are pirates around. You can't. No window. Even the bartender plastered the ones in the bar.
Well Stations usually have long range sensors equipped.

My proposal is the following:
Add a stationary radar to PoBs

I can think of 2 alternate ways:

1. The simplest. Just add it. While docked (and alternately logged in as admin) you can scan if there are ships around using a "/base scan" command the station would show you all uncloaked ships in a 20-25K radius area. (FLHook command) This would only show you the ship name and affiliation of the ship. Pretty much what normal scanners do in 9K minus the target scan to browse weapons.

2. Needs a little more coding but also is more realistic and it is also a moneysink.
Add a new module called Scanner Module. You must build the module on a free module slot first to enjoy the benefits of option 1.

Discuss
No, the base suppliers would be able to completely isolate themselves (and their damn bases) from the roleplay environment and never undock when anybody is near. Yes, that is what such a scanner will be used for - why else would you want it?
Indeed, the second idea is more realistic. But... I don't think that it will ever be achieved.
Great idea lets add more to pob`s to make them even more laggenerating items.
I don't know how much lag they generate. I'm just an average Joe playing discovery. I just found it strange that once you land you are effectively blind. Even to something as close to you as your nose. I don't insist to be able to scan tremendous distances but have something at least. If it's 5 K range then 5K range.

To Mimir: Do you think PoB owners would sit in their bases and scan things all day long? That's so much fun. And a lot of profit. Yeah.

To David.Leroy: I don't think it will be ever implemented either. Only the things get implemented that get the attention of a lot of people or get the attention of devs/admins.

It is an idea. Discussing is free, both positive and negative feedback is welcome.
Why else would you want the scanner if you are not going to use it to scan for hostile contacts before you undock?
when you dock on a planet or npc base do you have such a scanner. No
well i rest the case
(01-15-2014, 07:30 PM)roadrunner Wrote: [ -> ]when you dock on a planet or npc base do you have such a scanner. No
well i rest the case
Indeed... but in Disco' if I'm not wrong, POB's are associated with player ships, right? At least this is what I saw in rules.
Not fully, since a POB can shoot at anything without warning unlike other players.
to roadrunner: Thanks for commenting. True, but I think none of the NPC bases are yours. I think it's just rightful to scan a little radius around your own base.

If all I get is negative feedback then it's a sure sign I had a stupid idea. Keep them coming.
Pages: 1 2