Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Something I noticed.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We're always talking about the same things here at Disco, but we never do anything about it.

Why?
We're not devs
The people who have tried to do something about it get ignored.

I know of a few people in particular who took many hours out of their life to review ship balance in the mod, with promises that action would be taken on their findings, only to be completely ignored by the people who are actually allowed to make changes.
(01-16-2014, 10:17 PM)Birdtalon Wrote: [ -> ]We're not devs

That, pretty much.
(01-16-2014, 10:34 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-16-2014, 10:17 PM)Birdtalon Wrote: [ -> ]We're not devs

That, pretty much.

yup ^
(01-16-2014, 10:05 PM)Tal Wrote: [ -> ]We're always talking about the same things here at Disco, but we never do anything about it.

Why?

The Devs don't have 12 hours a day to work on disco, they do it as a hobby, if we all start donating so they're paid a decent wage for the time they put in, we might see some changes, but that's never gonna happen.

Don't forget, these people run a server for us, forums, code mods for FL, and most feedback I've read about them is negative, if someone came up to you in the street and wanted to give you $19, would you say "piss off mate I prefer even numbers, give me $20"?. "I mean I'll take the $19 but I'm not happy about it".

Someone say something nice about them for a change! :p
(01-16-2014, 10:05 PM)Tal Wrote: [ -> ]We're always talking about the same things here at Disco, but we never do anything about it.

Why?

We are talking about same things, but with completely different opinions. Few examples:

PoBs: Some people say they should stay as they are, some wants to let them SRP, some wants to get rid of them.
Cloaks: Some people say they should stay as they are, some wants more restrict them, some wants get rid of them.
New restarts: some people say how useful they are, some people say they ruins the game and should be removed
Caps: Some people say they should stay as they are, some want to let them SRP, some want even tighter restriction
Database wipe: some people says it will be the final nail because lot of people will leave, some say it is will bring more positives than negatives without losing much players

It is easy to say "what should be done" when you don´t have responsibility for the server. But even vets don´t have same opinion about some crucial decisions (like database wipe). There isn´t any "complete unique list of changes which with no doubt will turn Disco back to times when it had 200 players at peaks again". You can´t be sure what will happen. But you can then say "oh, sorry guys, I thought this will work. Sorry for changing Disco into quite dead place. Bai." I understand devs who invested their time into this mod why they are very careful with changes and why they hesitate. It is not easy to improve the situation, but it is quite easy to make damage. And no one wants to make harm to his baby...

Also as Thargoid said, there are limitations of human resources. And it is very ungrateful job to do something for others, be it anything, I know it very well. You try to do what you think is best but there are always people who say "this sucks!" but it is so hard to recognize if it really sucks or these are just never happy grumblers and most of people who say nothing (because that is how it works, people tend to criticise much more then praise) are actually at least average happy with how it is.
Never touch a running system. No matter how crappy or good it is.
I'm not even relating to just gameplay mechanics, I'm talking about attitude changes, attempts to boost activity, etc.
Well. I wouldn't be so pessimistic.

Things are really improving. But it's a very slow process. I can only dream that we would had had current mod like 2 or 3 years ago when things were a lot worse. Now of course a lot of things could better. They always can be better. It's just the nature of life, it drives progress. But as a guy who stopped playing few years ago and got back... many things are improved.

Now some balancing issues are still in need to be addressed, but overall I would say that progress is noticable. Therefor I don't completly agree with OP's opinion. Things are better than ever in terms of software, only problem is activity. But you can't expect people to crowd a server of outdated game. Unfortunaty. That's why I just feel so sad when you think how things could have been if we would had had this years ago.

Ahh what they did with corsair tech is just amazing. I <3 centy.
Pages: 1 2