Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: There are 85 POBs on the server.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
As of right now, there are 73 players online.

It doesn't matter if someone's in the same system as the POB or if there isn't a single person online -- that's 84 instances of POBs ranging from core 1 to core 4, each doing a whole set of stuff, each adding to the server load, each increasing lag a tiny bit.

This is wrong and harmful to the server.

Something needs to be done about this.

EDIT: Something that doesn't involve deleting a potentially cool feature like POBs altogether.

EDIT2: As of 3pm pacific time on January 19th, there are now 85 POBs up.
Delete them all. PoBs are all cancer anyway.
I don't see why reserving PoBs to being SRP-only wasn't implemented in the first place.

Edit: And genuinely, in most cases there's very little that any faction that isn't a House Military can do about shielded, supplied bases. Take Gallia for example. Multiple bases in the Maine system alone.

None of the unlawful factions can do anything about them. Corse and Council wouldn't want to attack them due to their tenuous diplomacy, Brigands don't have the firepower, and Maquis can't even use Gunboats.

Something needs to change.
I personally haven't noticed the "end of RP" since PoBs have returned. I've also noticed we've had a good number of players return, as well as new players coming in.

Obviously they are not the cancer some think they are.
Make it easier to kill them.
what? theres nothing wrong with POB, infact i see it as a bonus, gives players extra jobs to do, to supply and so on, it increases RP because it gets players to go to systems/bases to get supplies, and of course they will be stopped by pirates etc etc
(01-19-2014, 01:49 AM)evanz Wrote: [ -> ]what? theres nothing wrong with POB, infact i see it as a bonus, gives players extra jobs to do, to supply and so on, it increases RP because it gets players to go to systems/bases to get supplies, and of course they will be stopped by pirates etc etc

Except the five second lag spikes are pretty much the devil incarnate.
Player numbers actually picked up when PoBs returned. They motivate people to actually go ingame and log, instead of waiting for others to offer a situation that is "worth logging to".

A fix? No idea.
But the observation is correct and somehow needs a solution, that I agree to.

Quote:Except the five second lag spikes are pretty much the devil incarnate.

Is it really the base plugin?
If yes, hm... base ticks are like really short. So the server has to do a lot of them.
If it was not like... 16 seconds... but like... 1 tick in 10 minutes, would that decrease server load? I am a noob in these things, so forgive me if it makes no sense at all.
As far as I'm concerned there ought to be mechanics put in place as to constrain environments where they can be put, i.e. server denying deploy command if any of these conditions are not met:

1) Within range of -20k to 20k by vertical axis.
2) Within rectangle of system map (derived by per-system scale property from universe.ini).
3) Radius to closer solar object greater than 20k (that includes other bases, planets, jumpholes, jumpgates, etc).
4) System count of PoBs is lower than a certain universe constant or per-system constant, thus if you really really want your base in a populated system - destroy another one first.

Add new mechanics of a constantly increasing upkeep using base level as multiplier so that the base would eventually slide into vulnerable state, especially true for maxed out bases, thus those maintaining it would also likely to actually defend the base properly instead of simply pumping in with traders. Exponential upkeep growth would mean that eventually it would fall into vulnerability state for a period of time during which a siege can be laid, and if base left undefended it would fall down. Once vulnerability state is over the upkeep returns to base levels and again slowly rises up, thus making it cyclic. And there you'd have automatic period events for PoBs defense -> more activity.
Quote:of course they will be stopped by pirates

Gallia is proof incarnate that this is simply not true.

I've observed, also, that PoBs make these supply runs more ooRP-based. Taking illogical routes that have no piracy risk and avoid interaction just to avert the risk of losing the precious supply cargo. I won't use examples here to avoid trial-by-forum, but it's really beginning to irk me.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15