Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Biased Bans?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I was recently banned on the player Gran_Canaria and the stated rules I broke was "Insulting, flaming ooc" and "ooc chat in system chat"

The ban was for 7 days for the sentence "get out of here you worthless piece of crap" which I said as a Zoner to a Phantom who retreated from me. This is perfectly in bounds of role playing I thought. I guess I was wrong because I was banned for 7 days.

When I looked at other player bans I cannot help but see that there is a character that had violated more rules (Insulting flaming out of character, Occ chat in system, and having a police tag with a pirate ID) which only received a warning and a fine of 15million

This players violation is far worse than mine, and the player has more sanctions on other characters yet his punishment is much less than mine. I cannot help but think something is wrong?

Phil.

It would have been better to post this in a PM to an admin and not in public, because this has the possibility of turning into one of those things that you need a fire hydrant for, however I'll go ahead and post anyway, despite my better judgement.

You are right on one part, if you were In Character, in my humble opinion, you should not have been banned, but I'm not an admin, so I have no say in those types of things. However, if that player felt offended at what you said, then it's of course up to the admins to decide "is it really needed to ban this character for seven days?"

However, you are wrong one part. The bans are not biased. Sometimes the admins make a mistake, after all they are human like you and me, but if you bring things like this to the public, many times it turns bad, people flame, and it's considered trial by forums and bringing dirty laundry into the public eye.

So next time, use a PM;)they work much better and many times get your problems solved in a much more efficent and respectful manner. Good luck out there Phil, hope to see you ingame again soon.

~Leo
signed// good points Leo

------
of course its nicer to PM - but i understand that someone might publicly vent a little - after all, being sanctioned is a public event with not a few gleeful onlookers. - so if there indeed has been a mistake, an obvious one and if a decission was simply unjust - ( without a proper apology from the right side ) - going public is what one does - at least in RL. - its often the only way - but yes, it causes more trouble sometimes.

i believe that a sanction should be hidden, too. - those that are truely concerned by it might be invited to read the whole thing ( via PM - only takes a copy paste PM ) ... so often, we get comments, jeering and gleeful spectators - and if it turns out that the case wasn t "all that bad" i doubt any of those has ever apologized.

however - going public should be the very last resort as it will hardly animate the admins to look into the case thoroughly again, - or at least no more than PMing them. only if PMs don t help at all, and you really really still feel utterly ill treated. a public announcement is - in order, i think. sanctions are a very one sided affair. - while we re not playing under equals, and everyone knows that, it sometimes feels like it lacks something - in cases that are not as clear as cheating. - especially in cases wehre its not definite if a curse is spoken in char or out of char or if a char is RPing or not RPing. - its so easy to mistake someones intentions and to interpret them wrong. - the sanctioned has no voice untill the sanction report is done, which means - until the judgement has been done - the damage is done, even if taken back, its a damage to the reputation of a player. - cause after all, players see mostly only the capture "player X sanctioned for whatever". its like writing a report about a scandal of a person and spreading it all around. - after it turns out that everything wasn t "all that bad" as it seems - the harm is already done. - and speaking up to be heard by the community is a way to at least trying to fix some of the rep - if the attempt as such is not already taken as an "insult" and considered a "bad move". - i d like to make it depend on the case.

anyway, the community can hardly make up their mind, as the only people that know what really happened are the one that reported and the one that was sanctioned and both are unlikely to tell the full truth if it might not support their point of view.
' Wrote:I was recently banned on the player Gran_Canaria and the stated rules I broke was "Insulting, flaming ooc" and "ooc chat in system chat"

The ban was for 7 days for the sentence "get out of here you worthless piece of crap" which I said as a Zoner to a Phantom who retreated from me. This is perfectly in bounds of role playing I thought. I guess I was wrong because I was banned for 7 days.

When I looked at other player bans I cannot help but see that there is a character that had violated more rules (Insulting flaming out of character, Occ chat in system, and having a police tag with a pirate ID) which only received a warning and a fine of 15million

This players violation is far worse than mine, and the player has more sanctions on other characters yet his punishment is much less than mine. I cannot help but think something is wrong?

I read the admin's violation report and it doesn't just mention insults it cited you for rule lawyering at the exact same time which I'm guessing has annoyed them more than the insult. You say you've played for weeks but unfortunately you've never posted anything on the forums until now so the admins have no history of you and it may be that they're not impressed by what they see as someone trying to run before they can walk.
I read your reply to the report and you sound like a decent chap, but the admins get reports like this constantly about players who are clearly trying to push their luck and you may have suffered a bit as a result.
Best thing is serve the ban and start posting on the forums.
When it comes to being sanctioned, I've never heard of someone being banned because an admin was 'biased'. How can they be biased? They'rer not part of any factions and even if they are, I doubt they'd abuse their power by handing out bans to their 'enemies'. They'd have less fun even if they did.

People get banned for a reason, I got nothing against people shouting about it in public, but trying to overturn a ban without proof of screen shots or anything just means to me, you got nothing else better to do.

When it comes to showing the sanction in public, leave it as it is, name and shame them.

I can never back a person up on here is they have only posted <100 posts. That's not really taking part in the community.

Man, I need a drink.
Actually the admins are part of many factions, but I still uphold your statement about them being unbiased.
They do the best they can with the evidence they are given.

Rule lawyering has been a problem for some time and with the new admins coming in, there are signs they may be cracking down on it.
I honestly don't give a damn anymore. I've fought with admins over stuff and all it did was piss me off further or increase the punishment. I have years of experience and regret from it.....
' Wrote:I read the admin's violation report and it doesn't just mention insults it cited you for rule lawyering at the exact same time which I'm guessing has annoyed them more than the insult. You say you've played for weeks but unfortunately you've never posted anything on the forums until now so the admins have no history of you and it may be that they're not impressed by what they see as someone trying to run before they can walk.
I read your reply to the report and you sound like a decent chap, but the admins get reports like this constantly about players who are clearly trying to push their luck and you may have suffered a bit as a result.
Best thing is serve the ban and start posting on the forums.

Basically. Join a faction. Get your post count up.

I suppose not buying a capital ship will help as well.
Please. Lets not bring that in here eh?
Pages: 1 2 3 4