Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Suggestion on how to fix the scanners (keep the flames out!)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Okay, there is tons of rage now.
But this is the attempt to move this into a constructive atmosphere and suggest how it can work.

The main critizism of the new changes to scanners is:

It does not work.
It does all the wrong things.

The scanner nerfs...
  • ...encourage 5k powertraders by allowing them the 25k scanner without a disadvantage. They do not have guns, they do not need guns. They ignore the 75% core and just avoid every interaction, they would also ignore a 10 % core. It does not matter to the one who just wants to avoid interaction.
  • ...put the fighting transports that do not avoid interaction at a disadvantage compared to the unwanted powertrader group. Why? Their firepower suffers from the 75% core. Not much. But it does.
  • ...put the preferred Bomber pirate in an even worse position, and it is already hard on a bomber (due to other bugs/balancing changes). A 10% or even a 75% bomber is useless. A pirate bomber cannot keep up any more, even if the player wanted.
  • ...make Cruiser solo-piracy more attractive again.

To sum it up: It encourages everything we do not want, and makes successful gameplay and fun harder to get for those groups that we should encourage.

So, why was this done?

Because an infocard and a scanner name suggested it should only be used by big ships. In my opinion this is no justification to make gameplay worse and infuriate big parts of the community for nothing.

My porposal puts gameplay first:

1. Change the Battleship scanner (25k) we have now:
  • Rename the "battleship scanner" to "Long Range Scout Scanner"
  • Change the infocards to (a universal, very sophisticated scanner mountable on all ships, incredibly high-tech and thus incredibly expensive)
  • Give it a 18-20k scanning range.
  • Allow every shiptype the use of that scanner without nerf.
  • Keep the price tag of 250 million (= a brilliant money sink)

Consequences:
  • Everybody can keep using their toys (much of the ranting comes from that, I assume)
  • The OP-ness of 25k scanner would be reduced to 20k, which would have less impact on gameplay (transports vs. pirates debate)
  • All classes (also pirate snubs) can use it and can compete on the same level (compared to at the moment where snubs cannot compete any more).
  • Players with too much money would buy one (for 6k advantage in scanner range, which is still something but not OP)
  • The moneysink that was created and worked perfectly would continue.

Then you can add another scanner for heavy ships with 25k range that can only be mounted on BS and Cruisers only. Give everything else 0% core, and make it 500 million.

My expectation:
  • Hardly anybody would complain.
  • No one would lose their toys.
  • No one would be disadvantaged because everybody can get the 20k one and can compete on the same level.
  • The 25k "I avoid interaction totally"-Op-ness would be gone.
  • The 25k strategic cap-battlescanner would still be around and would not break transport-pirates balance but improve tactical cap fighting.

I would ask Mods to delete rant that spills over here.
This is an attempt to somehow focus on something positive and creative.
Watching this, and will remove any flaming/non-constructive posts

I like everything you wrote. The only thing I would say is that you/people are assuming this isn't already being discussed/not going to be implemented at a future date. This change could happen, but not all changes can happen at once.

With that said, lets see what the Devs say/post here

* Arioch summons Devs
Yes please. This is a good, well thought out suggestion.
Make a new scanner called Long Range Scanner, 25k/3k no nerf, everybody can use it, make the price a billion, creating an even bigger money sink. At least then pirates can use it to catch those traders that are now using a BS scanner with a 75% nerf, so on the rare occasion they get caught, they can still fight back, which is ridiculous.

Give transports that use BS scanners a 10% core regen, so they are defenceless when caught, they can still fit a Long Range Scanner at the cost of a billion if they so choose.

Or...

Remove all 25K scanners completely, and return the game to the way it was before this fiasco.
(01-26-2014, 11:35 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]Yes please. This is a good, well thought out suggestion.

Agree 100%
(01-26-2014, 11:31 PM)Jack_Henderson Wrote: [ -> ]Then you can add another scanner for heavy ships with 25k range that can only be mounted on BS and Cruisers only. Give everything else 0% core, and make it 500 million.
  • The 25k "I avoid interaction totally"-Op-ness would be gone.

Unless you create a new hardpoint for battleship scanners, only used by battleships, carriers (and maybe cruisers) it will still be the same issue.
Silent traders are going to mount their scanners on their normal scanner hardpoint and accept the 0% core.
So yeah, the only way to make this work 100% would be to create a new hardpoint that can also mount battleship scanners in addition to the 'normal' scanners and would only be available to battleships, carriers (and cruisers).

Other than that, I like your suggestion. I think it was said somewhere before, but a new thread should direct more attention to it rather than vanishing in the depths of a random page.
(01-27-2014, 07:37 AM)LordVipex Wrote: [ -> ]Silent traders are going to mount their scanners on their normal scanner hardpoint and accept the 0% core.
So yeah, the only way to make this work 100% would be to create a new hardpoint that can also mount battleship scanners in addition to the 'normal' scanners and would only be available to battleships, carriers (and cruisers).

0 % core and shield drain would also fix it. It is very uncomfortable when your shield does not recharge.

Thx for the input.
You could also make it (if codeable) cause a huge core drain to gunboats and smaller, in a similar fashion to what happens when you use the nomad restart template and try to cruise with a starflea. It causes big issues with your cruise engine, and gets your cruise speed up and down, effectively making you slower.
I'd suggest to keep the 14k scanning range limit. And 'balance' snub scanners according to it.
The thing is that with those 5kers, even a 0 core won't be enough to dis-encourage the usage of a battleship scaner.

Why? Because when you have no guns and you fly a bulk of a ship, a bomber takes down your shields in about 6-7 seconds anyway (from a full state), so you count mainly on your hull and CAU 8 to tank the damage all the way to the nearby base.

If you want to make it an exchange to vulnerability - make them lose the thrusting ability in exchange for the BS scanner. Mostly since it won't affect BS and leave their balance intact.
Pages: 1 2 3