Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Master record boot error
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This has been showing up every time I start up for about a year now. I have no clue what it is....could anyone help me out here?
MBR error? mmm

what is your OS?
It could mean many things, but the fact that you're getting this error yet Windows still loads is a very bad sign.

The Master Boot Record is the first 512 bytes of space on your hard drive, and it is reserved as the boot sector. This is where your operating system installs the bootloader, which enables the system to boot past POST (power on self test, the system diagnosis you see before that error) into a functional system.

The fact that you're getting this error could mean that your MBR is damaged, and if that first sector becomes unusable you will no longer be able to load Windows (or whatever OS you're using). You could still boot to it from a bootfloppy, though.

Before panicking, you may want to try booting from your Windows CD and using the repair option. Sometimes the Windows bootloader (ntldr.exe) can become damaged or lost, but when that happens usually you can't access Windows at all (and you don't get an MBR error). Bar that, you could always try checking the website of whoever manufactured your hard drive to see if there are any programs to diagnose problems like these (Samsung, Hitachi, and Western Digital all have one - but they're difficult to use if you don't know what you're doing, and they only work with certain models of their hard drives).

Best of luck.

PS: I would recommend backing up any precious data you have stored on that device, and soon. Once the MBR fails you won't be able to boot an OS off that hard drive without using a bootdisk. The good news is that if it does fail, you can still use the hard drive; you'll just use it as a secondary (slave) device for data storage, and the new hard drive will contain your actual operating system.

I could better diagnose your problem if you copied the actual error message word for word (including any numbers) to this thread. There are many things that can cause an MBR to become damaged. Most often, damaged MBRs are the result of users cold-killing their systems (turning the computer off by hitting the power button or unplugging it instead of using the proper shutdown method), and certain anti-virus programs install utilities into your MBR unless you disable the option before installing (Norton as an example has a history of causing boot-time problems). Windows itself isn't very delicate with hard drives, so sometimes the operating system is the culprit.
in repair console:

fixmbr

then, select Yes

Reboot

good luck
Quote:in repair console:

fixmbr

then, select Yes

Reboot

good luck

You don't need to do that in Windows anymore, when selecting the Repair option from the boot CD it does that automatically since a failing bootloader is a common problem. Even if it was a bootloader problem, I highly doubt he'd be getting an MBR error (which in this case insinuates failing hardware).
I would deffinatly try the repair option on the windows install disk. You could also try putting the drive in a different machine and run scandisk. Might solve it easier.
My comp uses a partition of thhe HD for programs that perform the same functions as the windows CD you mentioned....I've done this before There's a version that restores all factory programs to factory settins withut touching the personal data. then there's other which annihilates all files. I've used those before the first several times this year already and the second a year ago in july and the prroblem is still there.

I use Windoes XP BTW.
Honestly if you're having this issue for over a year now, just backup and reformat. Its going to speed up over all system performance to have a fresh install anyway.
Seeing how I havea ton of....er....movies on my drive it would be hell to accomplish so If it were really urgent I could succeed in such. Also a separete probelem is an external drive.

I have one where I have to shut it off while the comp starts up. If I don't the proccess with the blinking dash will go on forever. It's been like that forever and yes I reformatted hat one a year ago and it didn't change anything.
It's going to be a gamble no matter what you do, at this point.

Formatting the drive may actually solve the problems you're having, but then again.. If there's a corrupted block and you try to write on it, it could actually make things worse.

If it was me, I would probably ignore the error and continue to use the PC until that error prevents me from doing so. If the MBR is damaged, rewriting to it is the absolute last thing you want to do.
Pages: 1 2