Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Creating Planetary Graphics | Need Help!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thank you for opening this.

My goal is to create planet graphics based on real life planets and moons.
What I achieved so far is that I could open the files that contain the pictures of which the planet's surface is assembled.
I could export those pictures and I could replace those with other pictures I created.

Here is where I need you help:

I have downloaded the SWAG pack and saw that some guy managed to cut Earth map into 6 pieces of block-shaped pictures that together make a planet look like earth. This of course requires significant and precise distorting that I don't know how to achieve.
I would like to reproduce it very much since I have similar maps of Jupiter's moons and planet Mars.

If someone qualified in creating this please help me.
I'll run through those links however I've found out what I need is a 'latlong to cubemap' converter. A program that converts latitude/longitude maps to cubemaps.

Thank you anyways! Anyone knows anything about these converters?
im a bit confused on what your actually trying to do, is it 3d objects with real solar system textures?
(01-31-2014, 09:51 PM)evanz Wrote: [ -> ]im a bit confused on what your actually trying to do, is it 3d objects with real solar system textures?

Correct.
I just found out what precisely I need:
A cubemap generator!

Can you advise a good one?
what software are you using?

i myself use vue d'esprit from eon software, what i do when i want to make a planet with texture is create a sphere, then load a texture, i can then save that "object" as a vob (vue d'esprit file) or export as OBJ

is that what your needing?

have you got teamspeak?

join ours, the link is under my banner here, and ill try to help if i can (im data, if im not around speak to tyler or jack henderson, and they will pass me a message)

heres a quick render i did, is this the kind of thing your needing?

Yes, evanz. That's exactly what I need but I would work will less detailed pictures. In fact my friend just helped me with a program called HDRshop an it works already. But the program you're using is also a good alternative.

Thank you very much!