Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: What is considered fleeing...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Where are you guys getting 'shield running' from? The cruise rule has addressed that issue already.

Capitals shield running through thrusting is a laughable thing. They'll just turn their backs to attacks since they can't engage cruise to get the distance necessary for this tactic to be effective.

Fighters shield running has controversy spelled all over it. The community can't even come to terms with deciding if the term even applies to fighter combat.
*ahem*

Not to drag our great admin Caylith down but this sanction may help you folks.

http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18807
Quote:#2 will get you in hot water. An example you bring up is thrusting outside gunboat's gun range long enough to let your shields regen before returning to the fight ... hence shield running ... hence re-engaging.

Oh, so we should stay inside 1400m then so he can hit us? Poor him, I don't care about his low speed.
If he can't get me, fighters can.

I'm telling you, it's totally legit to keep a distance from capital ships.
If fighters decide not to chase him, it's their own fault.
Otherwise you may just as well say it's forbidden to dodge.

As far as the rules go, leaving a scanner range is considered fleeing.
Now what's fair and not fair, that's not on me to discuss. It's a very subjective thing.
what you did is called evasive maneuvers and tactics. You have not fled from the battle.

I think the involved person in fact contacted you. In a group discussion, we came out with an identical vision of the rule that Chopper explain quite clearly

If you disapear from scanners (best 15k, just to keep it fair) both of you are out of engagement ... But ehh,,, who must leave the system in that scenario??????
OK..now its time to throw the Murphy's twist into it.....lets see which one of you Einsteins can figure it out.
1.group of ,oh,say 3 bombers and 1 fighter are taking out the trade lanes in New York for some fun and profit.
2.while on patrol,lets say a Lib BC and 2 fighters get distress calls from some traders that just got dropped out of the trade lane,and they want help...not to "pay 2 mil or die".
3.The aformentioned BC and fighters arrive on the scene...during the ensuing combat ( which we all know is a fluid thing of beauty,not something static) the bombers and fighters ,using their thrusters like they are meant to, get out of range of the BC's guns.
Now I ask you......did the pirates flee?...they are still engaged with the 2 fighters....BUT...they thrusted away from the BC....and by your own definition,they have fled from the BC,and must leave the system,as the BC AND the 2 fighters were part of the same group.
This is similar to the rule about being grouped together with a cruiser who may be 15k away from the fighters/gunboat who is pirateing...and I seem to remember some sanctions is the past for the same instance.
NOW that I have your attention, this is ( is not?) a hypothetical situation.....or did it really happen?
And I want something clear-cut,carved in stone,roundhouse delivered by chuck norris,admin approved,this is your final answer for this......Thats what the new people want....not crap that you need 5 years of law school to attempt to try to figure out,but then get told something else.

And there is my thought for the day:cool:
' Wrote:...
As far as the rules go, leaving a scanner range is considered fleeing.
Guys, you have to stop making these crazy statements. You're respected members of the community and people take you seriously. chopper, where in the rules is written anything remotely similar to that which you've just stated?

Do a simple search on "scanner" or "sensor" on the rules page and the only thing you'll find is the battleship license.

Do a search on "shield running" and you'll find nothing.

Serious, people. This isn't helping. Don't make things up out of impressions and wishful thinking.
I don't know if this has been put to notice or not, but if you DON'T engage in the fight, even after he shoots at you, I think it's evading...not fleeing.

BUT

If you engage him also, firing weapons and what not, it should be concidered engaging.
[color=yellow]ADMIN INPUT REQUIRED, PLEASE
Wow I see so many shades of grey I think I'm watching Howdy Doody. I'm leary to enter this discussion but I have to put in my two cents.

Let's face it if the fleeing party has gotten 5k away its a sure bet they are fleeing. However you should be able to give chase in cruise at that point. If you let them go and they comeback then they are asking for a sanction report.
Even if the reasoning is sound, if it's not literally written down in the rules it's no better than mere wishful thinking. First thing someone will ask you is to point it out in the rules as Outlaw has asked, and it's just not there. So, it doesn't matter that you hope and think that 3k / 5k / out of scanner's range is reasonable enough, that otherwise it's shield running. It's not written down, period. There will always be room for contesting, rule lawyering and bickering. Either it's written or it's not.

Sometimes I'm afraid of some of the crazy versions of the rules I hear in game.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5