Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Omega systems layout revision.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
(02-14-2014, 06:38 PM)Tabris Wrote: [ -> ]A secret base in the other nebula would be nice, however it'd be difficult to RP 'secret' due to Disco's nature of 'I Found your Seecret base! I tellz everyone!'.
Unless you make it really secret like the Shipyard in the old Vespucci layout, add nasty NPCs to patrol around it as well and it would be damn hard to locate the base in the nebula.

(02-12-2014, 12:10 PM)Echo 7-7 Wrote: [ -> ]I've been informed by Blodo that Omega-9 actually serves an important purpose of preventing the shortest route into Rheinland from being through the Omegas, and instead through the Trade Lanes. This cannot be achieved solely by making the Jump Holes further apart in Omega-5 or Omega-11 as this would negatively affect the travel times in those individual systems. Therefore, the system will be kept in the mod for the forseeable future, and we will be exploring options to develop the system, so that it is not just a buffer system.
What if you remove O9 and put some nasty weapon platforms with CDs near one of the shortcut holes combined with some nasty NPC spawns with CDs? It could be some nasty nomad/wild infested piece of space or it could even be some nasty hessian/corsair infested piece of space.
So the corporate traders would think twice about taking the shorter route and if they do so they would risk a lot.
This kind of tweaks and options create fun gameplay and activity instead of boring empty buffers, remember the old Berlin-Sigma Hole with the nasty Wild NPCs there that ate transports alive.

In general why you people removed all of the good old working 4.85 in order to re-invent them several years later?
Try to be a bit more vivid about it and use something that works instead of stuff like buffer systems that proved themselves bad for the activity and the mod in- general.
To reply to Echo earlier about the defense of Omega-52:

With a paranoid faction such as the SCRA, suddenly finding a battleship one system away from home would certainly commit some sort of force to protect that route. If it's a couple of static Typhoon's - I quite like that idea. We've got Stevaspol on the other end (if the JH stays in the same place as the O50 one) so it won't be difficult to repair/rearm. My concern would be around having no sort of defense to Omega-50 from Omega-49. If there's a new front door being built to your house, you do want to make sure it's locked!
(02-14-2014, 05:51 AM)Echo 7-7 Wrote: [ -> ]If defense of the Omega-52 Jump Hole is such a problem, I could potentially place a pair of static Typhoons there.

There has been a lot said about Zoner Military Power in this thread so I don't think anymore on the subject would be of any use.

As for what I actually quoted, that would be awesome if there was a Typhoon on the O-52 side of the O-49 Jumphole and then in O-49 there would be two Typhoons flanking the Jumphole.

It would show an emphasis on the new focus the SCRA has when it comes to Gran Canaria and the Corsair presence. It goes without saying of course that we've had our eyes on the planet for a while and the Corsair presence provides quite a lovely excuse to "beef up" our presence.
(02-14-2014, 09:47 PM)mtjsmith Wrote: [ -> ]To reply to Echo earlier about the defense of Omega-52:

With a paranoid faction such as the SCRA, suddenly finding a battleship one system away from home would certainly commit some sort of force to protect that route. If it's a couple of static Typhoon's - I quite like that idea. We've got Stevaspol on the other end (if the JH stays in the same place as the O50 one) so it won't be difficult to repair/rearm. My concern would be around having no sort of defense to Omega-50 from Omega-49. If there's a new front door being built to your house, you do want to make sure it's locked!

Reality check, Omega 5 frontline is not that far as it is. Those Typhoons already there stationed should be in at least 5k distance AWAY from the JH's.
Thank you for your comment Omicron, however Omega-5 is a warzone between the Hessians and the Corsairs. The Omega-52 JH is protected by a minefield and weapons platforms and also the presence of Ronne. To commit further forces there isn't in our best interests when the Hessian's have held that stalemate for.. well as long as I can remember.

There is no such "buffer" in O-49, and it's not within the rhelms of possibility to create one.
[Image: chvp.png]

Yes. I don't like Omega-49 at all and I don't see the point in Cayman or the Wilde systems either. Neither in that O-54. But I guess if it had to, that could stay... guess there's no other place the Hessians could be moved to either so heh. Honestly I thought it was the BHG system when I crossed it out anyway, so ... probably better to leave it untouched.

Overall with this - very quickly made - thingy ... map ... blah - I feel like there need to be two systems down there. But I don't like Dublin being two jumps from Omega-41. And I think it would be much better to have both O47 and O49 in one system. Omega-47 always felt so ... pointless, yet somehow it had to be there. And Omega-49 ... all I say is "Gran Canaria". ._.

So meh. Not like such would be considered anyway, just throwing it out there:
Omega-47 and Omega-49 merged somehow.
Omega-50 gone.
Omega-55 gone.
Omega-58 gone.
Cayman gone...?
These systems should be reduced to two systems only.
And Londonderry put more towards Bretonia than the Omegas maybe.

Well. Whatever.

Blodo have no sense in how to regulate gameplay (and he's not even playing the actual game for ages so stop listening to him pls). The idea of forcing traders to use lanes through making the jump hole network useless is idiotic simply because this said network is also used by a lot of other people + there is still must be balance between speed and safety. This mean that lanes are = longer, more safe (because there are junctions with lawful bases and lawful patrols around and contrary wise the hole network is a shortcut way but it's far from lawful bases and thus more dangerous and generally crowded by the unlawfuls. This balance was here in 4.85 (and this version is referred as best one) but then someone decided to ruin everything apart. It's no good at all.

I see the SCRA are still promoting the devastating ideas of placing their stationary typhoons at every corner. I hope development team would never follow those ideas before stationary capital ship weapons are made exclusively cosmetic. There should not be a singly place in the game where stationary NPC weapon platforms are in close vicinity of the jump gate or a jump hole.
XD They are not as devestating as you'd think. For example: We've had to fight a mixed force of Reavers/Wilde at the O-5 JH once and that Phoon barely did any damage. Those Reavers/Wilde were able to fight us for quite some time before they finally pulled out of O-52 after having snagged acouple of us.

So they aren't as dangerous as you think they are Curios. XD

But anyways back to the main topic at hand. I was wondering how condensed Omega-47 is going to be, like 20K smaller or something like that to ease travel time?
It's not a matter of direct damage - it's a matter of this area being uncomfortable (if someone can afford fighting in such environment by skill it's anyway an annoyance) and thus it is not likely people will come there themselves, especially alone. A huge fleet might attack a location with stationary capital ship, it's okay. Example is texas - there is a libdread and RM, when in numbers, are still may attack people near it. However I'm sure they won't come with 2 ships if there are 1 or 2 ships of LN. Notice it that they won't come simply because fighting in unfair environment is not funny but they, possibly, could come if there would no such an 'uncomfortable zone' created by the capital ship.

So it's nothing but possible interaction preventing tool and nothing more.
But that's been happening since Freelancer began - If you don't want to fight you hug a battleship and it happens to and against every faction. Merely the other day I was chasing down a Rheinland bomber on O7 for it to run off to the battleship and start flying circles around it.

Now I'm not saying that will not happen with us because as I said earlier, it happens right the way through the game - You fight on more favourable terms to yourself if you can. I think the Essex was the worst one for it! What I will say is that a couple of Dessie's guarding our home is primarily for the defense of the jumphole. Or could it be the start of an invasion fleet into Omega-49? Who knows. We'll have to see what Echo says.

May I also point out that if the Fes is stationed in 49 - You've got your own "uncomfortable zone" right there. I'm merely asking for a bit more protection of the JH.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8