Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Changing graphics
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've always found the mini razor graphic to be dead-ugly, so after some thinking, realized the magma hammer looks almost identical, but better.
Now, is changing the gun graphics legal or illegal on disco multiplayer? It's really purely aesthetics and doesn't give an unfair advantage.
http://www.seounghoun.com/bluemini.wmv
[Image: bluemini.jpg]
Vid don't work in FireFox, at least.

EDIT: saving and playing does work though. Looks pretty cool, like an Ion gun.
Some people find it easier to aim with projectiles that have straight effects such as the Kracken rather than zig-zag effects like the Hornviper or the discharge effect of the Salamanca's. I myself think I would do better if the tracer of the salamanca didnt obscure my view so much during aiming.

If we allow too much diversion, then things become unequal. Im not saying you're making this change because you find it easier with a magma hammer effect, but some may ...
I think there is a rule that forbids installing any additional mods along with discovery. Even interface mods. I guess changing weapon graphics would apply too.
Since we do not feel any change from our sides, I think it's allowed.
I sortof did that once by giving my Raven's Talon a nomad engine effect...
Technically anything which changes anything in Freelancer beyond the Disco mod is against the rules. Not even programs which change Trent's ugly mug or make the HUD red instead of green are allowed. Technically.
Some projectile's have a bigger surface area, so it corrects the mistake of your crap aim.

Or at least I think it does.

Replacing SkyBlast B with Disinfector 3 for instance.
As long as it is client side, does not communicate screwy data between client and server, or effect other players game perception...It is not a mod.

Client side meaning, a certain texture is changed though ini.* files...ect.

Someone did a new texture for the Viper. For those who don't have the texture in their mod folder will see the old one. Whoever made it and those who downloaded it and installed it correctly will however see the new texture.

I suppose this is the same thing.:)
Different textures is something a bit different than this. New weapon effects can make your weapons fire invisibly (Not that the others would notice a difference) which may aide in dogfights etc. Same can go for adjusting the camera for certain ships (Try flying a Kiith Light fighter with the default camera.)

All the same, if it doesn't give anyone a major or minor advantage, wouldn't say there's much wrong with it.
Best just to say it's not allowed though, to prevent people tinkering with other files etc.
Pages: 1 2