Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: NPC balance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Right, it's this thread again.

You may remember me arguing staunchly in favor of nerfing NPCs to hell when .87 came out, and they were ridiculously overpowered.
I do still feel the same way about them in general - they should not majorly affect interactions between players.

HOWEVER. Because this server doesn't have 1000 players on it, I do think they're needed to add a danger factor in places that are supposed to be dangerous, and that includes, more than anything else, the Nomad worlds.

Recently, I was quite disappointed to find no resistance whatsoever when flying a Hau I civ freighter through 90-99-Iota-Zeta. There were plenty of nomad NPCs, but none of them had CDs, even the bigger patrols. Furthermore, the snubs did absolutely laughable damage, barely touching my freighter shield even with a few of them on me.
Similarly, the Omega-58 codes and derelict are absolutely no challenge to get for even an unarmored civ shuttle. The damage output of the Wilde NPCs is laughable, and they again have no CDs.

I'm not saying bring NPC CDs back on a large scale, or buff NPCs in general, but places that should be well-secured inrp should have a corresponding NPC presense - house systems have cap patrols with CDs, too, after all.

tl;dr: buff nom npcs plox
I agree with this.
But this might also change the outcome of some pvp fights.If someone tries running and you miss with you CD the NPC might hit them.Sooo this could be fun so a certain point
I'm with buffing the NPCs in what previously had been guard-systems and ofc also within the Nomad contested systems.
But for the love of god don't make any other NPCs any more -dangerous- bc we had that now twice in T23 and it was a pain.
Well, some nomad NPC caps can dish out fair amount of damage, but yeah - NPC snubs there are currently woefully weak.

In places meant to be battlegrounds between players NPCs shouldn't really be a factor that could seriously interfere with PvP, in my opinion. Omicron Eta had that problem before, as a result local fights have pretty much stopped.

But within the deepest depths of revised Omicrons there'll be NPCs dwelling you wouldn't like to meet at all, and for some you'd best have a backup, say a 5+ group. More details on those encounters later in Omicrons thread.
Gunboat NPCs (yes, nomads, too) have CD-s and they can be a real bother sometimes. I entered O-Iota once with a Geb, wanting to go to O-99, and I could not cruise more than 2 minutes as nomad GBs kept spwaning and CD-ing me.

(02-27-2014, 04:19 PM)Treewyrm Wrote: [ -> ]More details on those encounters later in Omicrons thread.

(Found the thread). Will this be implemented in Update6?
(02-27-2014, 04:59 PM)Ponge Wrote: [ -> ]Gunboat NPCs (yes, nomads, too) have CD-s and they can be a real bother sometimes. I entered O-Iota once with a Geb, wanting to go to O-99, and I could not cruise more than 2 minutes as nomad GBs kept spwaning and CD-ing me.

They do not, or at least not all of them. I wasn't disrupted by any NPC ship on my last trip and I saw plenty, including gunboats.
You may have been confused by the nomad weapons platforms, which DO have CDs, making them the most dangerous thing out there.

Also, that sounds ominous Yuri. And good. Looking forward to the details.