Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: A Pretty Little Talarca
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok. The problem is with me. I know this. I bought a Talarca for my character, thinking I'd found a fantastic ship for an Explorer - sleek, smexy, alright guns, alright shields, alright hull. I'm no expert (I am, in fact, mostly an idiot) but I liked the Talarca.

It was also one of the few Cruiser class ships that wasn't sold exclusively to a system Navy or faction and whatnot.

The hitch. My Freelancer ID only covers up to Gunboats. Which left me in a pickle.

As of right now, I'm flying my pretty Talarca under a temporary BHG ID - I RP it as a temporary license, more a loophole to owning the Talarca until he can get his paperwork in order.

My question to you, dear community, is which ID would best fit the needs of a character whose main mind is to stay free of obligations (to House, faction, and anyone but him and his crew), and explore as many systems as are within his engine's reach?

Would this fall into the overcrowded Zoner ID group? Is there another ID that might suit my characters needs? Or would the responsibility of owning a Talarca include an obligation to, well, pick a side? Am I just being a capwhore?

Also, and less importantly, I need a new name for my ship. My previous ones have been centered around an Idiot/Fool theme; Idiot's Array, Fool's Folly, Ship of Fool's, Idiot's Windfall, Foolhardy, Fool's Gambit etc. If anyone has any new suggestions with that in mind (hell, or just a cool sounding one at all), I'd love to hear it.
Zoner ID is about all that would fit.
Zoner, Gas Miner's Guild, or IMG work for explorers. BHG also works, but you get a drawback of all manner of unlawful wanting to shoot at you. With the GMG or IMG, you also get this problem, but to a lesser extent since not everyone hates you.

If I were you, I'd go with GMG and explore the outer Outcast worlds. That should be.....Fun, to say the least.
Either get a Freelancer ID and get rid of that ship, since there are many smaller exploration ships like Kusari Explorer (GB) or Spatial (SHF), or choose a side.
If you choose a Zoner ID, no one will touch you probably, as long as you don't get in their way.
But why would a Zoner fly a Talarca when Zoners have their own Fearless cruiser?
As someone said, IMG might fit nice, as they do explore maybe more then any other faction.
As said abover regarding Id. As for name, i recomend use of either town names or real ship names.
Say - Whats the RP Backstory for the Talarca ship? Im not asking him that but uhm what is the Talarca? Wasn't it some stolden Kusari thing?

On second thought how much ships have been stolden from Kusari?:P
I'm pretty sure the infocard says...

Quote:The Talarca Cruiser is a rare ship built by one of the private ship-building companies of Kusari. Origins of the Talarca remains unknown; some say it's based upon an early kusari gunboat prototype, some assume that it was constructed by an ancient alien race. Classified between gunboats and cruisers, the Talarca is an efficient and cheap capital ship, often used by freelancers of both lawful and unlawful alignment.

Maybe you can get why the Talarca would appeal to my sensibilities. I'm a freelancer, and the infocard says its often used by freelancers. And I don't feel like a capwhore as, while technically a Cruiser, and therefore capitol ship, the infocard lists it as a light cruiser. More than a gunboat, but less than a real cruiser per se.

With the advice I've been getting, I'm drawn firstly towards the Zoners - my character has a history of trading, so the move might make sense - and secondly towards IMG - someone mentioned they are the premier group for exploring, and that is the focus I want to have.

That said. If I wished to be primarily a non-partisan explorer, would IMG be the better choice, here?
Better then Zoner, yes. But as IMG, some factions might still attack you.
Outcasts, maybe Bretonians.. Others shouldn't.
So don't go exploring in Omicron Alpha in it;)
Explorer eh? How about... "CuriosityAndTheCat"
Talarca does fit the bill for an explorer, but a gunboat cna do the same job easier (mine fields, debreas fields.. asteroids... etc..)

Talarca looks like an explorer with its big sensor palettes (wings, but I think they look like sensors of some sort)

Zoner ID is what I used on mine before I downgraded it to a gunboat... (Incidentally I then downgraded the gunboat into a BW transport, since that did the exploring job just as well and wasn't openly threatening to other factions)
Pages: 1 2