Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Quick question regarding RP roles...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, heres the situation: I dont particularly like roleplaying more than one character. There is oppotunity to have unlimited ships in freelancer. Is it Ok if I play ships and not characters.

I.E. I started out and saved up for a LL. I have that now and thats where I reside. However the smuggling isnt so good (in a huge ship) so the Merovingian (thats my character) goes out and buys a second ship which he names wingless (another character as far as the game mechanics are concerned). This ship is accessable via teleporting like in Star Trek.

I am starting my backstory and planning on doing some in forum RP soon so i would like to know.

On a similar note, I find it to be poor roleplay if lets say I would attack a freighter as a pirate and then be retaliated against by a fighter played by the same human IRL. I also find it poor roleplay if you have a freighter character and you transfer XXX million credits to a seperate 'character' to set them up in a freighter. Multimillionares are not notorious for giving away tens and hundreds of millions.

This creates a dual edged sword for me.

1. If I am defeated in combat I cannot return to the system for 4 hours under any circumstance.
2. ALL of my ships become a target when I have beef with someone.

Now, as a traffiker of information it sort of crosses the line for me when another player decides to do the same thing but claim sperate characters. The way I play it out is that "although the pilots are confirmed to be seperate entities, they are also confirmed to be working together". Lets put together an imaginary scenario:

Im freightering (smuggling) and I Get killed by a pirate. I want to exact revenge so i put out a bounty on said pirate. Said pirate logs of and onto their freighter character. I see that this frighter is giving money to this pirate. I therefore write the bounty to include the seperate character because "my intel indicates that character a is financing character b's operations."

Thats that topic.

Secondly, Deaths. One does not just respawn, do they?

IMO there are 2 kinds of deaths; ship kills and kills. Your ship has a pod that you sit in that can be tractored in like the NPC's. Sometimes when you die you just sit in space in your pod waiting to be tractored in.

The second kind of death is a kill. You die. The way that you come back is via the mechanism in the movie the 6th day. In other words you get a cloned "Trent" body and you upload your memories into your neural net via some sort of optical computer backup. It takes about 4 hours to complete the process.

In both cases your pilots insurance covers the cost of the ship. Pilots insurance is mandatory in Sirus and everyone is required to purchase it before ever taking off, which is why you start out with so few credits.

The reason I put this here is because the RP threadsw seem to be all RP, and I wanted to ask if there was anything in the RP rules that I missed that would disallow any of the roleplay aspects i set forth here. Thanks in advance.
I see plenty of logic in your assumptions, and would not ahve any issue if you used this as your basis for play.

If a trader is paying for a set-up to a pirate character then that trader should be assumed to be friendly to that pirate and it's chosen faction. I know my trader is. As such placing a bounty on said trader for financing the pirates who stole your cash and cargo is not outside of RP. Everything we do in game is in RP, ergo so are the transfers. If you ever see Gregory Bayliss funding the Rogues feel free to bounty him.
There are a lot of ways you can legitimately link your characters and still have them as seperate individuals.

Not all but quite a few of mine a connected in some way - which is fun for my own RP, and also allows different interactions and possibilities in game. One of my characters actively dislikes one of my other characters...... (i wish their was some way i could have them meet in space:)

Seems like I'll go with that then. I'll try to make a post in the RP section soon (so busy and want to actually play).

For those reading then consider
The_Merovingian
and
Wingless to be 2 ships, one pilot.

Thanks.
yes, i have all my current chars (except one) linked in a story for my battleship. all my chars are members of the bridge staff, with one account being the BS itself. works well to link them all together, although i never though of it quite as deeply as you have.
I have two seperate profiles for one character, Jack_Agincourt and Jack.Agincourt.

One is his ship, the Fool's Paradise, the other is his personal shuttle. It works well when conducting more personal business (as well as when he needs to enter Liberty space legally - without his Cruiser).
I have 4 Characters at the moment I am still working on a good RP for the trader to explain transfers to both the BH and Corsair characters, but I treat My Bomber LordUria and my Cruiser LordRaviel as the same character with 2 different ships and only switch between them when they are on the same base usually Crete.
Pretty much all of the (active) characters in my sig are all linked somehow. "Knucklehead" is Eman's Dad, and a friend of Airom's family. He acted as a surrogate father to Airom after Airom's father was killed. Airom, Eman, and Ulora all attended flight school together on Manhattan. Knucklehead's IFF chirps IMG, but he is not part of the guild. He is a truly independent miner at the core, after having spent a fair amount of time as a Mercenary. His old Mercenary habits die hard, though, offering support to other vessels even in his brick of a mining ship.

Eman's main ship is the Luxury Liner OSC Alki Point. His previous Liner, the OSC Quinault, was lost recently in an attack by a renegade Junker gunboat. He also operates an Eagle VHF and a Train under OSC's banner. The Train is usually flown by subspace remote to minimize the time he spends away from the Alki Point, but he is known to fly the Eagle himself.

Airom's parents were natives of New Berlin, and his father was a fighter pilot in the Rheinland Military. Around the beginning of the Nomad War, Airom's father was sent on a classified mission. During this mission, it was clear that something was not right with his CO. When he tried to address the issue with his CO, the rest of his wing was ordered to fire on him. He managed to escape, limping back to New Berlin after entrusting his ship to a close friend. He fled with his family to Liberty where he met up with his old buddy Knucklehead. Shortly after the end of the war, he was on his way back to Rheinland when he was attacked and killed. It was later discovered that his attackers were remnants of the Nomad infested military agents known as Das Wilde. Airom vowed to return to Rheinland someday and avenge his fathers death. He was given a small inheritance which Knucklehead had been keeping in trust. Airom used this inheritance to restore his father's ship. After spending some time fighting The Wild, he realized that there was so much more threatening the homeland he barely knew, so he joined up with the Rheinland Military. Due to his long time spent in Liberty and the strained relations between the two houses, he has been denied any formal rank or ability to issue orders to non-civilians, which is just fine with him.

Ulora is a unique individual. She grew up in the poorer sections of Manhattan and had to scrape by just to make it to pilot school. Once she did make it there, she became fast friends with Eman and Airom, who were also attending the academy. She became fascinated by the stories Eman told about his father's job as a miner and the ship that he flew at the time. Her pride forces her to refuse anything she considers a handout, including from her friends, so it took her a bit longer to scrape together the funds for her first ship. For a time she was considering becoming a member of BMM, but decided that the independent life is better. She still maintains a close friendship with Eman, Airom, and Knucklehead. There are rumors that the friendship might be closer with Eman than just friends, but you won't hear them admit it...

As you can see, four people all linked together, one of whom has three ships at his disposal. Maybe I should expand on Ulora's story a bit. I started one for Eman, Airom, and Knucklehead quite some time ago, which should still be floating around the RP forums somewhere. Haven't updated it since OSC started and stopped, though.