Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Freelancer with Windows 8.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been Discovery since 3.84 and decided to have a look at my original freelancer file, starts and runs pre movies in full, then when switches to game - ZAP! It crashes. I get a message prior to this telling me FL does not recognise a 3D card, do I continue - press yes. My card is an ATI HD 6700 and all other stuff runs on it, from Far Cry to Far Cry 2, Silent hunter 4, Discovery 4.86 and 4.87.

Apart from the latter, none are new, so - any ideas on how to run Freelancer the original. When I try compat modes weith things they never work, so not yet tried that - yet.
I run Freelancer on my 8.1 Laptob-Tablet-Thingie perfectly.

Did you use a fresh install?
Compat mode zilch.

No, I used the already installed copy. If I use a fresh install I was wondering if I would have to restart 4.86 or 4.87. At present on my desktop I have FL, 4.86 and 4.87 icon'ed. the latter two work fine.
You said you got a message complaining about graphics - have you tried disabling the bloom mod (by moving/renaming EXE/d3d8.dll), assuming you have it on?
Yeah, it said that FL did not recognise a 3d card. I will try your suggestion later today hopefully, its 0233 now, time to hit the sack.
Win 8.1 here, everything works perfectly - are you sure you got the latest video drivers?
Yeah it'll be something pretty basic I would imagine, mine runs fine on 8.1.
I think you will be right there Luke. My card is a ATI Radeon HD 6700 in an HP quad core 3gb tower pc on a ASUS Berkley MB. I last checked the driver boost software about 3 weeks ago.

now going to try Alex's suggestion about bloom, which I DID tick in 4.87. I did not in 4.86 and that's fine.
Thanks Alex, the renaming of the dll worked. No longer have the flashing screen.