Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Question regarding contraband...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
So yeah, the smuggling has been alright. However, the RP leaves a lot to be desired. I think I'm straight on the rules of being pirated, now I need to understand the rules on being asked to drop cargo by the liberty navy or any other law/military faction/entity.

Scenario: I'm hauling contraband. The lane is hacked by lane hackers, so I go into cruise. This is 5 trade lane gates before manhattan. at the 3rd lane, im hit by a CD from someone procaiming to be a lawful. This trade lane was also hacked. Its a freelancer (the lane hacker is off my radar by now). He attemps to kill me and alerts the authorites. They come and all attempt to kill me. I get away. They tell me drop the cargo or die. I continue to flee.

1. I've already been fired upon.
2. I cant possibly SS getting hit by a CD unless I know its coming.
3. There is NO RP involved untill after I have been lane hacked, disrupted, and fired upon.

Are lawfuls allowed to lane hack?
Do they have to ask you to drop it first?
Before firing a CD?
Before firing a weapon?
Lawfuls should not be killing trade lanes unless it's in order to prevent an already engaged enemy from fleeing via trade lane.

They dont have to say anything before they cruise disrupt you, but they DO have to give you warning before opening fire.

The freelancer shouldnt have done a thing, their ID doesnt allow unlawful action as far as I'm aware, and freelancers are -not- a policing authority. A civilian on the streets of new york doesnt go shoot a drug dealer and expect to get away with it - the drug dealer might have been a 'bad person', but now that civilian is on trial for murder. Freelancers follow the same rules within all of the houses (or should, most dont).

It's the same deal with bounty hunters trying to act as a galactic police force - they really dont have the authority within any of the houses to do so. Outside of the house territory, however, there is no law - and they can stop you at will as far as I'm aware.

Still, police/military players here are the worst 'pirates' you'll come across. Not only do they take your cargo, but they fine you on top of it. At least pirates have some small level of respect for traders who react with roleplay.
Of course lawfuls can lane hack. They usually do ask you to drop cargo, usually "drop the slaves or die", and when you say "But that leaves thousands of slaves drifting in space where they'll die a horrible death." Then the Liberty lawfuls start shooting.

Take a bounty out on the freelancer.
' Wrote:Of course lawfuls can lane hack. They usually do ask you to drop cargo, usually "drop the slaves or die", and when you say "But that leaves thousands of slaves drifting in space where they'll die a horrible death." Then the Liberty lawfuls start shooting.

Take a bounty out on the freelancer.

So lane hacking isn't illegal? I have heard lawfuls in space say that it is.
A freelancer? His ID does not allow that. If it was an LPI, or a naval officer, or a member of the LSF, well, then he's fully allowed to do so. The military or police can deactivate a lane ring in order to prevent the flight of a criminal. However, they should ask that you drop the contraband. If you deny, THEN they can open fire. If you hand them over and pay the fine, then they cannot attack you.
' Wrote:So yeah, the smuggling has been alright. However, the RP leaves a lot to be desired. I think I'm straight on the rules of being pirated, now I need to understand the rules on being asked to drop cargo by the liberty navy or any other law/military faction/entity.

Scenario: I'm hauling contraband. The lane is hacked by lane hackers, so I go into cruise. This is 5 trade lane gates before manhattan. at the 3rd lane, im hit by a CD from someone procaiming to be a lawful. This trade lane was also hacked. Its a freelancer (the lane hacker is off my radar by now). He attemps to kill me and alerts the authorites. They come and all attempt to kill me. I get away. They tell me drop the cargo or die. I continue to flee.

1. I've already been fired upon.
2. I cant possibly SS getting hit by a CD unless I know its coming.
3. There is NO RP involved untill after I have been lane hacked, disrupted, and fired upon.

Are lawfuls allowed to lane hack?
Do they have to ask you to drop it first?
Before firing a CD?
Before firing a weapon?

Lawfuls can lane hack, however you will never be able to RP your way out of dropping the contraband, no matter what you do. Trust me, it just wont work.
' Wrote:A freelancer? His ID does not allow that. If it was an LPI, or a naval officer, or a member of the LSF, well, then he's fully allowed to do so. The military or police can deactivate a lane ring in order to prevent the flight of a criminal. However, they should ask that you drop the contraband. If you deny, THEN they can open fire. If you hand them over and pay the fine, then they cannot attack you.

You cant have a military ID as a freelancer? I thought you could, they sell them on manhattan if im not mistaken.

I hope so, because totally sperate incident, the only guy that ever killed me in pvp was a freelancer who ordered me to stop and killed me when i didnt. He was rank 78 so he should definately know better if its against the rules.

back to this incident, the lane was already hacked before i was spotted smuggling. It was hacked in one spot by a lane hacker player, and again by a freelancer claiming to be lawful of some sort (i didnt scan his ID as i was busy defending).
Quote:He was rank 78 so he should definately know better if its against the rules.

Tell that to all the bounty hunter battlecruiser kiddies who powertrade for a week, never even look at the forums or the rules, then go on to act as "sirius police" attacking every pirate or smuggler they see, or anyone that gets in the way.
I think the freelance pilot could've done what he did if he was under contract from the local authorities.. yes? Or maybe he'd need a mercenary ID to do that? I'm a little confused on the differences between freelancers and mercenaries. One works for themselves which means they do what they want to make money, the other is specifically hired to do what someone else wants them to do (usually in a more military fashion). So one could hire either to assist them.

My point is:
Scenario A
Freelance pilot decides he's going to shut down a trade lane and force someone to drop their contraband for - let's assume he's doing it for the luls. Does his ID allow him to do this? There seems to be a disagreement here.

I carry a freelancer ID (mainly because I'm an indecisive twat and don't know which faction to join [it has to do with my character's backstory]) and I primarily trade. I don't sport the trader ID but I'm not ferrying illegal items or crossing swords with every passerby I lay my eyes on so I don't consider this to be oorp. However, if a lawful (police officer) noticed my ID and requested assistance and promised to pay (or maybe he didn't promise anything and just said NEED HELP - can I help him without breaking the rules?)... does my ID allow me/him to do this? (This follows up with the next scenario.)

Scenario B
Freelance pilot is hired to keep a section of a trade lane shut down due to recent events (increased pirate activity, has to do with an RP the cop has in mind, why'd you leave the keys up on the table?, etc.). He spots "jpo" with illegal items. Freelancer presumes that since he was ordered to keep the trade lane shut down he briefly holds the power of authority in his mitts. He CDs and fires at "jpo" and then alerts the authorities. Is the freelancer at ANY point allowed to do any of those things?

Supplemental: I think the liberty police got more on their plate than a smuggler. If anything; if I had been the first officer on scene I would've questioned the freelancer if anybody. Also, I think we, being human beings - god help us - should be more capable of handling that kind of situation. Last I checked, smuggling wasn't deemed to be a capitol offense. The NPCs already question and then fire, I think we're a little bit smarter than that. That covers this one.

Scenario C
?????
Scenario D
Profit!
@ jpo

I think you are saying "freelancer" instead of an independant Liberty law officer. Yes a law officer can disrupt a lane and scan and demand contraband then levy a fine. Firing a CD can be done without warning but as was said there should be some interaction before opening up their guns upon you. Smuggling is about playing crafty i.e jumping out the lanes and engaing cruise well before you encounter the "cop" or not taking the lanes in the first place.
Pages: 1 2 3 4