Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Jumpdrives crazy idea
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
While it was proposed to ban 5kers/barges from group jumping it's still here. But when this ability will finally gone, maybe we'll be able to rebalance group jumping to be used as offencive weapon.
Imagine following situation: huge fleet battle, Gallics vs. Liberty, for example. Liberty is loosing. In desperate attempt to save situation brave commander of carrier LNS-Victorious decides to charge into enemy fleet. Gallics thought it's fool move, but captain of Victorious have charged jumpdrive onboard! So when his bleeding ship reaches gallic lines, half of Royal fleet simply disappears! And appears somewhere else.

Ye, I know it's crazy and will be abused for sure.

Edited: well, it can be done right now. So group jumping cloak mk6, which requres less fuels/cargospace, have bigger range(300m maybe), but will only jump into random locations
so... change drive to allow charging while moving or for instant jump. uber abuse but at the same time i like the idea, random system jump for suicide teleport to change battle outcome. but ya, abuse out the ass on that cause then say OC dread does it to liberty cap spam pulling them to alpha....on second thought, i approve! lol
Interesting proposal, but surely needs some deeper thinking for balance and rules to avoid abuse.
This could be also used to draw a transport convoy to enemy territory for pirating, for example (now that would be also an interesting situation). How would it be prevented to use it for jump trading? Is it possible (I mean regarding game mechanics/hook) to limit its effects to combat class ships?
Again, as I imagine, It will jump to random location only, no coordinates(too abusable otherwise). So you won't be able to jump enemy fleet to Virginia. But it will be able to charge while ship's moving, have bigger range and take less cargo space. So, main idea behind it-being able to sacrifice your own battleship for several enemies.
But also you will be able strike fear in enemies, when they'll see you charging JD, they will try to avoid you for sure, so your own fleet will take better position.
Another use I see-removal of afker base sieges.

As for abuses-I think that even 5k transports will be able to maintain distance when see battleship charging it's JD. Victims can be barges/another BS/careless people.
(04-15-2014, 06:58 AM)Zayne Carrick Wrote: [ -> ]Imagine following situation: huge fleet battle, Gallics vs. Liberty, for example. Liberty is loosing. In desperate attempt to save situation brave commander of carrier LNS-Victorious decides to charge into enemy fleet. Gallics thought it's fool move, but captain of Victorious have charged jumpdrive onboard! So when his bleeding ship reaches gallic lines, half of Royal fleet simply disappears! And appears somewhere else.

I feel instead of abuse, you just paved a RP way to use JD in fights like the above. I am sure the example you pointed has enough RP in it to make the use of JD justified and its written even handsomely ... So, instead of abuse, I feel it just made the use of the drive better in-game role wise Smile
what about just a speed nerf while charging jump drive? So you can move, just not very fast?
(04-15-2014, 09:47 AM)lIceColon Wrote: [ -> ]what about just a speed nerf while charging jump drive? So you can move, just not very fast?

But it would be useless if you could not keep the target BS in range.
I like this Idea and would like it if it was implemented with the needed Balancing and changes.
We tried this with my BAF| Carrier, BAF|A-HMS-Valentine, but it didn't work out because simply there is not enough "Jump Room" to fit more than 2 caps, ether side of the carrier. ou cna jump many snubs, yes that works well. I'd like to see more of this honestly. It would make things more interesting.
(04-15-2014, 09:52 AM)Ponge Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-15-2014, 09:47 AM)lIceColon Wrote: [ -> ]what about just a speed nerf while charging jump drive? So you can move, just not very fast?

But it would be useless if you could not keep the target BS in range.

If you allow it to keep it's regular max speed and not go into Cruise...you could keep up with other BS, or force them to cruise away, which would have the added bonus of draining their power away and making them less combat effective (even more so if you have a support ship to CD them and prevent them from cruising away).
Pages: 1 2