Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Increasing snubcraft cruise speed to 355
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
With recent thread of Pavel, an issue of so called off plane trading was raise. I personally have not witnessed first hand, or heard about this thing happening, but I have another issue, even worse one. It's the traders who are actually using lanes, but when a pirate drops them out of one AND proceeds to roleplay before CDing the target only to see that trade ship already cruising away from him, out of CD range and with no hopes to catch it.

A possible solution to this fix is not nerfin the trasnport cruise speed, but the increase of small craft speed. This would mean that Heavy Fighters, Very Heavy Fighters, Super Heavy Fighters and Bombers would cruise at 355 maximum speed, which is only so little increase.

This means, that a transport cruising for 5 minutes, would travel 105k, while snubcrafts mentioned, 106.5k. This is only 1.5k per 5 minutes difference, but it would discourage those transports to flee, because the snubcraft would catch up in the end and have his interaction.

This gives no direct nerf to transports regarding profit/time ratio. It only discourages the silent transports, that would rather fly for hours to the void, instead of interacting with bunter/lawful/unlawful snubcraft.

In addition, snubcrafts would be a little bit faster while traversing the systems where no lanes exist. This would promote faster intercations between factions whose main ZoI is in such system.

What are your opinions on this? You can either express it by messages, or vote to show how much you like or dislike it.
How about fixing the server issues first?
(04-16-2014, 06:33 PM)The_Lost Wrote: [ -> ]How about fixing the server issues first?

I am looking for community's opinion here. If server is offline, how can community be fixing the issue? Perhaps community would be interested in brainstorming ideas how to generate a better gaming environment, once the server is back online, don't you think?

What have you personally contributed to fixing server issues?
(04-16-2014, 06:24 PM)Snak3 Wrote: [ -> ]With recent thread of Pavel, an issue of so called off plane trading was raise. I personally have not witnessed first hand, or heard about this thing happening, but I have another issue, even worse one. It's the traders who are actually using lanes, but when a pirate drops them out of one AND proceeds to roleplay before CDing the target only to see that trade ship already cruising away from him, out of CD range and with no hopes to catch it.

A possible solution to this fix is not nerfin the trasnport cruise speed, but the increase of small craft speed. This would mean that Heavy Fighters, Very Heavy Fighters, Super Heavy Fighters and Bombers would cruise at 355 maximum speed, which is only so little increase.

This means, that a transport cruising for 5 minutes, would travel 105k, while snubcrafts mentioned, 106.5k. This is only 1.5k per 5 minutes difference, but it would discourage those transports to flee, because the snubcraft would catch up in the end and have his interaction.

This gives no direct nerf to transports regarding profit/time ratio. It only discourages the silent transports, that would rather fly for hours to the void, instead of interacting with bunter/lawful/unlawful snubcraft.

In addition, snubcrafts would be a little bit faster while traversing the systems where no lanes exist. This would promote faster intercations between factions whose main ZoI is in such system.

What are your opinions on this? You can either express it by messages, or vote to show how much you like or dislike it.

Well, I am personally a fan of this idea. Also I would suggest making impulse speed logical for the size and mass of a ship. So basically, a battleship would move at about 40 m/s (or maybe a little more), a battle cruiser would move at 55 m/s, a heavy cruiser at 60 m/s, and a destroyer at 70 m/s. A transport could stay as it is, and if you feel good about this idea, Super Heavy Fighters at 85 m/s, Very Heavy Fighters at 90 m/s, and light fighters should stay at 79 m/s because they are already hard to hit.
I like it! Even that you offering not to nerf something, but improve, to fix a problem. Well done mate!
I would increase Heavy Fighters cruise speed...
One could argue that a LF has a cruise speed of 400, so if you put a CD on this, it will be no problem. This promotes teamplay, as it's very hard to pirate alone in a LF, but then again shouldn't it be a challenge to pirate?

Now, this is not my opinion. I'm too inexperienced to say what would really be the best change, I'm just trying to give some input.

Maybe PoB-produced engines?
Mk1: 355-360
Mk2: 366-370

This would also add more to what a player can strive to create.
This is almost infinitely the better option than reducing transport cruise speed. It "fixes" the perceived issues without inflicting any negatives on anyone. The issue is all about relative speed anyway, not absolute speed of any ship in isolation from the speeds of other ships. Increasing snub cruise speed reduces travel time across systems with no lanes for snubs, but doesn't negatively affect anything else, except the luckless transport who meets a pirate too far from a safe haven.
(04-16-2014, 06:46 PM)Core_One Wrote: [ -> ]I would increase Heavy Fighters cruise speed...

Agreed. I have long dreamed of seeing heavy fighters with 375 cruise speed.
Are the engines different for HF, VHF and SHF? If so, it would be easy to adjust speeds.

For example:

LF 400
HF 370
VHF 360
SHF/Bomber 355
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12