Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Because I did mention this before...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
And I know years ago, I think 3, this was talked about.

Client side textures? Can we do this please? I would love to sport a red and black Raven's Claw...

I believe before they were grunting at the anti cheat system going nuts over an idea like this, or exploitation.

But I was thinking that it'd be pure client side, that others wouldn't see the custom skins on the ships, only the player on the player's computer.

The old way of doing things, SRP and eons worth of work, to get customized content into this mod is ...well... old. The changes that this server has gone through over the 6 years I've been here has closed off some avenues the old beats did to get their stuff in game.

I think it's time to think about what we can open up client side and maybe give some personal flavor into discovery again.
Client-side textures for things like starspheres, planets, and bases are supported, since Swag Pack pretty much does that, and it works just fine. I don't see why it would be overly complicated to allow ship textures to get the same treatment.

Unless it edits the actual config/.ini file for the ship that holds all the stats like hull and cruise speed, I can see that being difficult to work around.
It used to be possible, but if I recall correctly, the anticheat now checks (and bans players for modifying) files related to ships, hardpoints, and related information.

Thanks, Hessians. You ruined something /else/ for the rest of us.
Last time I tried using altered ship models it worked. Wasn't that long ago.
Modified textures works and the anti-cheat doesn't mind it at all. I have a few on my own installation.

It's the .cmp/.sur of the ship that you shouldn't be touching.