Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: *Sigh*
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I'm getting tired of posting these things, but a certain someone insisted...so i'm going to keep this simple.

Seeing as how this is an RP server and not a PVP server, what is your take on someone in the navy (an independent not in the LN) saying "Engage *insert name here*" (about an untagged pirate with a generic pirate id) without any prior RP to his fellow lawfuls? (Just for the record this pirate had not done a single thing, no taxing, no attacking players or harassing lawfuls)
OK, I'm not on my LPI char many times, but here's my example with experiences with indie pirates.

Me: Halt!
<pirate runs away>
Me:Engage!
<pirate already gone>
Me:*sigh*

So I already grew tired of this. I just engage them every time I see them.

Note that my writing is not fast, so i have to make short and simple words and can't make some uber RP sentences before my target escapes.
' Wrote:Me: Halt!
<pirate runs away>
Me:Engage!
<pirate already gone>
Me:*sigh*

So I already grew tired of this. I just engage them every time I see them.

That little bit is RP, if they run, isnt that just making your job easier?

' Wrote:I'm getting tired of posting these things, but a certain someone insisted...so i'm going to keep this simple.

Seeing as how this is an RP server and not a PVP server, what is your take on someone in the navy (an independent not in the LN) saying "Engage *insert name here*" (about an untagged pirate with a generic pirate id) without any prior RP to his fellow lawfuls? (Just for the record this pirate had not done a single thing, no taxing, no attacking players or harassing lawfuls)

I understand what you mean but you must remember that from 9,612 members registered on the forums and active in game..and the ~2000 which are not registered, only 1/5th actually RP....so of course there ill always be someone like that...its the community around us...something you have to get used to really.
I understand, im just trying to get this 1/5ths opinion on the matter.
He has a point. I mostly dont tell people to halt or anything. I just sit back wait for someone to call then go charge in and blow stuff up. It works for me.
' Wrote:That little bit is RP, if they run, isnt that just making your job easier?

Well, yeah... The thing is, they usually run away even if I say only Enagage, so I don't have any option. I usually follow them like 2 K and if they don't stop I give up. I'm not some SWAT or Navy...
But seeing this is an RP server, dont you just enjoy rping? it seems you dont enjoy chasing them...so ever try something besides "halt" "drop that or die" "stop or die"? maybe you should, and maybe you will have more fun. and MAYBE just MAYBE you will get a better result...
perfectly fine. - but it also depends on the circumstances MUCH more than just the simple situation described. - when a pirate hangs around at ... lets say - manhatten, farming NPCs - or even simply idling there.... a simple "engage <name>" should be enough, as the pirate in question should know very well that its not the place to hang around at - with an unlawful ID.

if however - the pirate hangs around at bornhold depot - and a lawful comes there ( which is about the same "good" roleplay as a pirate that comes to manhatten orbit ) - there should be more than "engage <name>" as it is a situation that is not expected in that location.

if a pirate is hauling contraband and is using jumpgates and lanes ( which are supposed to track whats going through and what they haul ( hence, the hackers know that stuff ) ) - a simple "engage <name>" is sufficient again, cause everyone involved knows "why".

if however a smuggler is flying through lawful terrain without contraband, but with the previous reputation to have done so, as well as the notice that the lawfuls do not want him around, a little explanation before the engagement would be in order - but not needed, as the player should know full well why he is being attacked.

in most cases....( and that applies more to pirates than to lawfuls from my experience ) pirates proceed MUCH too often and far too deeply into lawful space. - they hang around at westpoint, they use tradelanes, they even come up to manhatten. - lawfuls shouldn t even say anything in that case, - a pirate ID... ANY pirate ID is reason enough to be attacked on sight, silently and efficiently. the problem with the ID is that it labels players.

think of it like that...

we got no prisons in the world - and everyone must label himself with what he does. - so there are the typical law enforcement officers around. - and suddenly, a man pops up with the label "i rape and muder for fun" - since what someone is labled stands true.... the police would take him down. and all that without a discussion - now if he only lurked around in the dark corners where the police is not likely to come to - he is safe.. but once he steps into the open, uses highways, uses his credit card often, hangs around at the main entrance to the police stations... he will be attacked.

that is what disco freelancer is about. - thats what "IDs" are for the players.
Well, of course I make more RP, but not when I'm busy firing that cruise disruptor, or I try to follow them through some fields. Those rocks make my ship hurt.
Pages: 1 2 3 4