Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Jump hole "abuse" is not against the rules
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
I noticed a sanction given for a trader ping ponging a jump hole. I am puzzled by the sanction.

There is no rule against this tactic, nor is like an F1, as has been claimed.

It seems like someone who obeyed the rules has been sanctioned.
well, but it is a tactic that leave the chasing player with little chance ( and so hardly any fun ) - how fast you "zone" over depends on your computer speed and your connection. - so if the trader has a good connection and a fast computer he can easily evade any pirate ( unless the pirate is teamed up of course )

but it leaves one thing... its unfair. and an exploit of the game ... especially when we keep in mind what orillion said...

bigger ships are at a high risk to be damaged when travelling through jumpholes, so in RP, they d do it as little as possible. - a transport captain that hopped back and forth would be acting sort of ooRP ( when you re looking at a rule ) ... but really, its simply not fair to do.
Well Akuma, now that the sanction has been given we should regard it as a precedent to follow.

Also it has been that way for quite some time. It is exploiting the game engine for you gain. Not exactly sporting, and has been punished before now.
I have to say that I'm curious about this one too. Not that it is a tactic that I'd adopt, but people have evaded me using it on both jump holes and jump gates numerous times and I've never felt "cheated" upon.

It's like chasing someone around a pillar. If you can't outrun the person you're chasing you're bound to run in circles until someone tires. It's test of patience imposed by the one evading, but considering it cheating is extreme.

I reckon there's more to it than what has been exposed in the sanction thread.

EDIT:
' Wrote:...
It is exploiting the game engine for you gain. Not exactly sporting, and has been punished before now.
How is that "exploiting" the game engine, considering you're not using anything other than a pretty straightforward and valid game aspect (not some obscure bug)? What is it that you gain, considering the person chasing has all means to follow suit? How is it unsporting, if you're as much trapped in the maneuver as the guy trying to catch you?

EDIT2:
' Wrote:well, but it is a tactic that leave the chasing player with little chance ( and so hardly any fun ) - how fast you "zone" over depends on your computer speed and your connection. - so if the trader has a good connection and a fast computer he can easily evade any pirate ( unless the pirate is teamed up of course )
If it's a transport being chased by a fighter, ain't it much faster to turn around in a fighter than it is in a transport, so you can re-enter the jump hole you've just left?
"This exploits the game mechanics to avoid roleplaying"
' Wrote:EDIT:

How is that "exploiting"?

Makes you invulnerable a lot of the time (as you enter the cinematic). Thus using the game engine to your advantage, and to avoid participating in the game. I frown on this a lot.

See my frowning face? *makes frowning noise to get the point across*
' Wrote:Makes you invulnerable a lot of the time (as you enter the cinematic). Thus using the game engine to your advantage, and to avoid participating in the game. I frown on this a lot.

See my frowning face? *makes frowning noise to get the point across*
Yes, you're invulnerable but also trapped inside the "maneuver", as much as if you docked in a station and the pirate was outside. The pirate can't destroy the station to remove you from inside it, even if it's a very small research station in the middle of nowhere and there's a whole fleet of bombers outside pounding it repeatedly. Is that considered exploiting the game too?

So, "exploiting" is the new trend in Disco now?

EDIT:
' Wrote:"This exploits the game mechanics to avoid roleplaying"
Role playing is about actions too.

Comparing this with F1ing is like comparing chocolate and... Ah, nevermind.
It only genuinely exploits game mechanics if the connection issue Jinx meant is present.

The "jump hole instability" issue is a valid one and it should reasonably require a not obsessive and greatly repetitive use of rapid docking them in combat--but they are still reliable enough for regular traffic so it shouldn't be that one or two traverses back would be that unreasonable.

Also, using a system gate is quite stable and other than connection speed granting an advantage, you should be able to.

this is akin to a lone wolf saying, "No fair! I can't zig and zag as fast as a deer so he shouldn't be able to!"

This is why wolves hunt in packs and even then the chase/kill fail rate approached 80%. Get a partner or don't pirate near JHs--its a tactic, not an overt "exploit" unless it is used abusively.

The "decree of precedent" here stinks because it is ambiguous: What--you can't go back through even one time? Two? How many? Will I get sanctioned if I enter a system gate and the redock it?

Its a really un-necessary "new rule" that favors one sort of player over another. Defining abuse of this as a tactic is fine...defining the tactic as "abuse" is biased.
I think the issue with it is that it is both annoying in the extreme, and a method of avoiding playing the game without the penalty assosciated with engaging cruise or docking with a base or dying.

EDIT: I don't mind people jumping into a system, then immediately jumping back -once- more than that and it seesm to be an attempt at avoiding playing the game.
It perhaps isn't against rules, but it's so irritating that I'd expect it to become sanctionable any minute.

Anyone using it as trader vs pirate I presonally consider despicable.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13