Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Stop working on new ships (At least for a little while?)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
*Puts on fireproof suit*

Basically it's like the title says. Discovery Freelancer has a tooooon of new ships and/or ship models that seem to be changed with every mod update. While that's cool and all, is changing a ship model with every update or two really necessary? The old saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it" comes to mind, though I certainly do understand that some of those ship models getting replaced were in fact broken.

Anyway it just seems to me that Discovery is doing pretty okay in the "Cool assortment of ships" department, so why not take a step back for a little while and work on other aspects of the mod, like adding new features or continuing to improve gameplay mechanics?

Maybe this idea has no wind in it's sails, but I really do think it's worth considering, we really don't need new ships with every mod update.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpp5stAmemfC0WMgYlXmw...Dq7gEDDn5Y]
(06-26-2014, 12:21 PM)Pavel Wrote: [ -> ][Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpp5stAmemfC0WMgYlXmw...Dq7gEDDn5Y]

Thx 4 feedback moderator

Anyway, I entirely agree with this. How many ship types are there in the game? There's probably more different ships total than there are active players during high activity periods these days. There's more important things to do at this point, now that pretty much every faction has access to its own personal fleet.
I think it'd be fine to just see the textures on ships improved, though sometimes new models are implemented for RP reasons.
I love this idea. There are a few ships that need tweaking (and yes, I should make threads about them, but most have already been covered. If I get around to it, I'll post them) and there is a huge debate over capital ship balance right now that I think needs to be sorted out.
(06-26-2014, 12:24 PM)Dancing Lady Wrote: [ -> ]Thx 4 feedback moderator

Anyway, I entirely agree with this. How many ship types are there in the game? There's probably more different ships total than there are active players during high activity periods these days. There's more important things to do at this point, now that pretty much every faction has access to its own personal fleet.

Glad to be useful.

"No" is a shortcut from long post which'd basically treat how mods are to add content to the game (within reason though, so it doesn't imply I'm fan of zoners having battleships, for example), and we have to keep making Disco feel more and more new and complex for players to keep it alive. I understand the idea behind OP proposal, but I think it'd do more harm than good.

After all, if we can have more ships, then why not? Disco devs, except Jinx, don't work on ships, they work on the mod; if someone privately finds unaffiliated with the devteam modeller, what harm it does if he makes the ship and it later gets introduced? Dev time isn't lost at all, because entirely different people are members of the core devteam (aerelm, Echo 7-7, Treewyrm, and few other people with yellow names.)

tl;dr

Disco devs =/= ship modelers (except Jinx)
Practically no dev time is lost on ship modeling, which in theory could be spent on finetuning other disco aspects
Some of the reasons why we get new models for existing ships is to raise the overall model quality and get rid of imports such as the Ravens Talon and the Firefly.
(06-26-2014, 12:31 PM)Pavel Wrote: [ -> ]tl;dr

Disco devs =/= ship modelers (except Jinx)
Practically no dev time is lost on ship modeling, which in theory could be spent on finetuning other disco aspects

See, that wasn't so bad. Not everyone is aware of this factoid, and therefore an elaboration like the one you've just made would've been appreciated and made everyone happier. Communication! Now I can agree with your position because of your argument!
I think as long as we have things like Wasupu getting replaced with things like the Sutinga, there will always be a demand for better models.
Actually why I mean the story is developing on each update for some people and when they see new ships they always get new oppurtunities to use it for their RP characters or elements or for once actually trying a different ship instead of the same ship 4 years long 8| get what I mean.
Pages: 1 2 3