Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Iridium Mining and economy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
(06-27-2014, 11:28 AM)Mao Wrote: [ -> ]Zoners seem to be the only Omicrons faction that could be interested in mining iridium.
Order - maybe a little bonus there as well.
BHG - nope, they are fighters, not miners. They rely on trade factions for their supplies.
Corsairs - nope, they are pirates. They will take the mined material anyway.
Outcasts - see Corsairs.
Nomads - they don't need it.
IMG - a small bonus since they are a mining corporation expanded all over Sirius. They could try some mining in the Omicrons but the small bonus should reflect the low profitability operation.
GMG - they don't deal with Iridium.
OSI - they have their own ID, right? They could get a small bonus too. Small because they're not miners and trading is their main field of expertise.
Miner ID - should get a normal bonus.

I'd AI a good bonus on par with Zoners too. Otherwise, that sounds alight. Not too keen on giving IMG a bonus though, since they have other interests elsewhere they should focus on.
Well the BHG can hire miner id players, instead of mining it themselves and the BHG can concentrate on the technological development of Iridium instead of mining it themselves.

In RL, automobile factories fabricate parts from metal.they do not mine the metal, they buy or give contracts to mining companies.
Inb4 IMG uber powerminer facshun...

Hehe, no.

Give bonus to Zoner, Phoenix and AI IDs, factions non-native to the Omicrons are unlikely to have been able to experiment and develop efficient technologies to mine Iridium which would justify the bonus (including IMG), and all factions native to the Omicrons can either have the money to buy it (Core), have the connections to buy it cheap (Order), would take it by force (Hispanics), or don't need at all (Nomnom). And the Miner ID should remain as is, having the only perk other mining IDs don't have: the freedom of not having to align yourself with anybody.

I think instead of a minor bonus, no bonus should represent low profits.
(06-27-2014, 11:31 AM)Unlucky_Soul Wrote: [ -> ]Well the BHG can hire miner id players, instead of mining it themselves and the BHG can concentrate on the technological development of Iridium instead of mining it themselves.

In RL, automobile factories fabricate parts from metal.they do not mine the metal, they buy or give contracts to mining companies.

Or they can just hire Zoners, which is more logical than the Miner ID.
All the generic IDs right now are pretty restricted, and that is for a reason. So that players get to try out the faction IDs.

And giving a higher buff for Miner ID, would make the buff (if at all this happens) for Zoner ID and AI ID useless, since players would prefer to use Miner ID.
(06-27-2014, 11:28 AM)Mao Wrote: [ -> ]Zoners seem to be the only Omicrons faction that could be interested in mining iridium.
BHG - nope, they are fighters, not miners. They rely on trade factions for their supplies.
Outcasts - see Corsairs.
IMG - a small bonus since they are a mining corporation expanded all over Sirius. They could try some mining in the Omicrons but the small bonus should reflect the low profitability operation.
OSI - they have their own ID, right? They could get a small bonus too. Small because they're not miners and trading is their main field of expertise.
AI Consensus - Exports Iridium into the houses in exchange for valuable materials required for Gammu. Maybe needs it itself for their Technology, not sure about that. Also, they supply the Etherium with it when needed.
Outcasts - see Corsairs.

Short range route:

Iridium to:
  • Evora Shipyard, Omicron-100 (low profitability)
  • Tripoli Shipyard, Omicron Gamma (low profitability)
  • Livadia Shipyard, Omicron-74 (low profitability)
  • Valetta Shipyard, Omicron Alpha (medium profitability)
  • Alabama Shipyard, Omicron Rho (lowest profitability)
  • the rest of the shipyards across Sirius should receive iridium with different prices, Gallia and Bretonia paying the highest prices for it

And yes, the commodity shouldn't be sold on FP 11.

Add AI and some other miner faction and this is perfect i think. And for people who say: Only native have knowledge to mine it, i would say, look at old South America or Africa. Natives lived there for centuries but never learn how to extract/use metals, but when europeans came, they did it very quickly. And i dont see the problem to add more Miner Faction to the bonus, they will fight together for fields, it will be very risky to mine it because if squid/order/BHG dont kill you, it will be others miner...
(06-27-2014, 12:03 PM)larzac Wrote: [ -> ]
Outcasts - see Corsairs.

Short range route:

Iridium to:
  • Evora Shipyard, Omicron-100 (low profitability)
  • Tripoli Shipyard, Omicron Gamma (low profitability)
  • Livadia Shipyard, Omicron-74 (low profitability)
  • Valetta Shipyard, Omicron Alpha (medium profitability)
  • Alabama Shipyard, Omicron Rho (lowest profitability)
  • the rest of the shipyards across Sirius should receive iridium with different prices, Gallia and Bretonia paying the highest prices for it

And yes, the commodity shouldn't be sold on FP 11.

Add AI and some other miner faction and this is perfect i think. And for people who say: Only native have knowledge to mine it, i would say, look at old South America or Africa. Natives lived there for centuries but never learn how to extract/use metals, but when europeans came, they did it very quickly. And i dont see the problem to add more Miner Faction to the bonus, they will fight together for fields, it will be very risky to mine it because if squid/order/BHG dont kill you, it will be others miner...
We're playing a game that's set in the future and people are flying around in spaceships whilst being able to fire antimatter out of guns and can jump over huge distances in seconds. Oh, there's aliens too.
Do we really need to compare Disco to realism? Especially in a context where the natives of Africa were not on the same technological level as the Europeans?
(06-27-2014, 11:24 AM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]But isn't it silly that a faction that is completely foreign to the Omicron enviroment is suddenly able to mine far more efficiencly than factions that have been in the Omicrons for a considerably longer period of time, who surely would be better suited to mining Iridium?

Texan oil companies are better at extracting crude oil from Iraqs oil fields than Iraq's companies. Yesterday I saw a documentary on Copper mining in Chile and Peru. European companies, using european high tech equipment and our university skilled people are behind it.

The better knowledge, equipment, skill is what makes the difference. Being native there does not make you good at using things that you have no clue about. A native with a pickaxe and knowledge on his surroundings is useful as a guide. What you need to exploit it is completely different. And I doubt Zoners have equipment and knowledge to prospect mining fields, select the best places, use the correct mining equipment, the cheapest drills, etc... etc...

Imo there are tons of reasons why mining factions should always have an edge or at least never be worse than any of the non-mining factions in the field of mining. It's their roleplay. That's what they are good at and that's why they are played.

Quote:factions such as Zoners and AI, who would be much better suited to mining Iridium as they don't have another primary focus.

No problem with this at all. Just keep it inside the framework.

Zoners have the neutrality + 5kers (however not in House space), so I would say a 2,5-3x bonus would not be a problem. But expect HATE. A lot of it. Because 5kers full of ore will be docking at House capitals, etc... and "mining zoners" has already been a red flag for many players here, especially the cool-headed ones.

AI: no problem there either. They do not really have a fixed roleplay. Why not develop it there. A 2,5-3x bonus is okay, if the final version does not develop them towards a real pew faction like Core and Order.
What i mean is that natives dont always know/need something about where they live. IMG mine almost everything in sirius, do you really think that they havent tech to mine iridium, even if they dont live there? same for Kruger. When you are able to mine diamonds, i wouldnt worry for some metal... Anyway, It will be to Yuri to decide, i think that we gave most of ideas possible, the most important one being to remove F11 sellpoint and add higher price to all shipyard of sirius.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9