Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Pirate / trader rule clarification needed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Pretty simple scenario.

I'm pirating, a trader comes along, I do the halt & demand -routine. He halts, but then decides to make a run for (docking a TL or cruising away). He gets away. I vow revenge, he laughs, and situation is over for the moment.

So if I catch him next time (he comes back through the same route) am I allowed to destroy him without any more warnings? How about if the catch happens in a different system?

Or are every encounter unique in this sense? Meaning if he gets away that "resets" the counter?

My common sense tells me that if I vow revenge in form of "next time you'll pay" or "you'll suffer from this if I catch you again" or something similar I actually have every right to take him down without any warning. Of course that's pretty unsportmanlike to just blow him/her up without getting any loot, but he's have a history of running.

What's the verdict here from the admins?
i think the encounter is reset. - that is the EASIER way to solve this. - cause if a warning was given and the trader got away..... how long should such a warning last? - the next encounter? - a day? a lifetime?

since that cannot be determined, i d say - once the trader either gets away by simply getting out of your scanner range and your direct influence by jumping away, docking, cruising away - the next encounter has to be measured as if its a totally new one.

that does not mean you need to forget he cheated you before - but it means you have to do the routine by the rules again.
Good points. As always Jinx. I'd still like to hear it official.

As I'm personally not too interested in money involved, but looking for RP opportunities, this re-encounter certainly provides food for thought and actions.

On a side note it's a bit shame more and more players are in too much of a hurry to either cruise away (or attack in case of a confrontation). I know it's not how people would react in real life, but it sure makes my gaming session if someone is willing to have a good conversation. Be that a trader or an enemy.
I say tax him harder. Have him drop his cargo and destroy it in front of him. Then ask for a mil.

Jab the knife in and then twist it.
Dont feel too bad, smugglers do it to me all the time, at least the few that do manage to get away.
Quote:I say tax him harder. Have him drop his cargo and destroy it in front of him. Then ask for a mil.

Jab the knife in and then twist it.

/signed
Next time shoot on the trader till he gets into half hull. Then ask for an increased amount of tax. Give a decent time limit and then if your not payed or get no reply shoot some more if still nothing happens shoot it down and watch fireworks.

Just re-visit server rule 6.19 to be within server rules.

Also when pirating in trade lanes get your self a wing man who makes sure that trade lane remains disrupted.
As a trader, I tend to remember the pirates I see, especially the more vocal ones. I enjoy a pirate encounter as much as anything when the pirate makes an effort...not "HALT! PAY 2M!" PEW PEW "i SAID PAY!"

That being said, I will treat the next encounter with said pirate as another encounter, not the same thing. I am not stupid enough to go back along the same route I just escaped a pirate from, and if I were, I'd fully expect to get blown to smithereens.

While I agree with Jinx on most of the points, and it would be EASIER to treat each encounter as new, it's no fun from my personal perspective to do that. It's like my character was dropped on his head and can't remember anything. Not bloody likely.

$.02
I do what Jinx suggested and make each encounter a new senerio. Simply to not get sanctioned. I don't agree though that the traders get a "reset" simply by going through a JumpGate/Hole as the pirate can follow very easily.
I think if the trader and pirate are still online, then the pirate is entitled to chase the trader or predict the next route he will take in order to destroy him. After all, lawfuls can quite legitimately chase smugglers across multiple systems, and set traps for them, so I don't see pirates should be any different.
Pages: 1 2