Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Something that's getting to me...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Corruption. Kind of weird here, as the pirates slag the bounty hunters, navy and cops as 'corrupt' while portraying themselves as Robin Hood reborn to save the poor, defenseless civilians.

Let's rewind here...

Wait, WHAT?

Since when do the Rogues care for anyone but themselves? Since when are Junkers philanthropists that move food for starving people for free? Since when are they looking out for the welfare of the citizens, whilst all the cops, navy, and hunters are doing is oppressing them? Did I miss something here?

Just seems to me that the pirates saying they're any better than the lawfuls is... just wrong (except Bundschuh and Blood Dragons, who are actually fighting to overthrow the government, and Xenos who claim to be fighting for the working man's rights [tell me if I forgot anyone here]), petty criminals should not be concerned with 'protecting' civilians, they should be trying to exploit them for gain.

Please, there's too many Robin Hoods as-is...
Welcome to Discovery!

Not sure what your talking about with the rouges and such....But since when have the Liberty Navy been corrupt. I thought it was just the LPI?

Could be wrong.
everyone has their own Point of View. Doesn't matter if it's right, they'll believe it.
Heh if you think the Junker was doing it just to be nice then well that Junker was really doing a good acting job. Kudos to him/her.

Corruption is rampant everywhere but the lawfuls are supposed to be better than the scum out there. When they falter everyone notices. Even a slight mistake can make large ripples. After all people expect the criminals to act up.
Unioners and the angry farmers of Kusari and Rheinland. They are what you could call freedom fighters as well.
Lane Hackers are another one.

"The Lane Hackers in Magellan and Galileo share one common origin Ageira. The scandal that erupted within the company after the great Galileo bypass project, which resulted in the unnecessary construction of a hugely expensive set of Jump Gates and Trade Lanes, forced several executives and an elite development team out. This would become the second part of the core of the Lane Hackers, along with the original California scanner group that fled to Magellan. "

Pirates? Sure, but arguably they're better than the liberty organizations that they oppose.

Id have to say that in fact there are very few pirate organizations in FL that pirate just to be evil. They often have some motivation behind their activities.
All of the factions, excepting the Order, have a bad side, that's what makes them so interesting.

The Blood Dragons are fighting for an outdated mode of government, wanting their own diktat instead of the current one. Nothing terribly noble there, really.

The Xenos fight for the working man, but are also xenophobic (see the name) and potentially racist.

The Unioners are thieving scum, out to make a buck, much like other Rheinland pirates, having lost much of their ideals due to conditions (not that they were ultra-idealistic to begin with...).

The angry farmers want control of a market that they couldn't win legitimately. They weren't competitive, so are trying to take lands by force.

I think the shades of grey are awesome.
almost every criminal will look upon himself as some sort of robin hood ( without the giving to the poor part though - as they consider themselves to be "the poor" part )

however, its one thing to think about oneself as it in such a role - and shouting it around in system chat. - what i find annoying is that as an LPI you cannot ask someone to cut his engines in new york without receiving several snappy remarks about how corrupt the LPI is ( usually from some well hidden pirates - or worse..... traders and alike ) somewhere off the place where the LPI is.

when we sum it up - the common citizen of sirius is living in a paradies. - not only the goverment is concerned about their wealth and freedom, .... also all the criminals are ( except the xenos, who only glory in themselves ) everyone else appears to be better than even santa claus - and meanwhile we overlook that indeed, every faction is "the good guys" and its the CIVILIANS that are corrupt, yes, you hear me! ( oh, and of course the bundschuh - well, we don t have any bundschuh representative, so we can bash on them:laugh:)
' Wrote:oh, and of course the bundschuh - well, we don t have any bundschuh representative, so we can bash on them:laugh:)

Volksfront, anyone?

I concur with blunt here - and it's one of the main reasons I still stay with Freelancer/Discovery. This game illustrates societies that are realistic - there is almost no Black or White, there's just a rainbow of grey shades.
The nomads are the only uncorrupted, pure group in the game.
Pages: 1 2 3