Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Starscape Poll
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
The modulated one looks still bright enough to distract gameplay, and the non vanilla one is too bright. btw, I like the Vanilla Modulated one, kinda looks creepy as well as sexy Wink
(07-16-2014, 10:23 PM)Narcotic Wrote: [ -> ]People may consider them good-looking on screenshots, but they're awful to view in the game itself. Hurts the eyes. I rather play in darkness, with supposedly dark authentic space atmosphere.
Pretty much what I want to say
Well, modulated one. Thats how I imagine space to be. Gives a feel to remain vigilant when flying out there
Make every system look like you turned bloom on in Omega 49 or Cayman
(07-17-2014, 05:55 AM)Singularity Wrote: [ -> ]Well, modulated one. Thats how I imagine space to be. Gives a feel to remain vigilant when flying out there

+1

I guess the brightness of the stars could be adjusted to meet 3 types of environments:

1. Dull for high density of pvp combat areas (such as Liberty space).

2. Normal for most planetary house space (Rhienland, Britonia, ect).

3. Extreme bloom for border worlds, edge worlds, and any independent systems without pollution, large nebulas, or asteroid fields. (Gives a player a 2001 Space Odyssey feel).

Of course, since Sirius is constantly changing this might be more work than it is worth the effort...
Only one thing i have to say about starspheres is this. Every vanilla one shows where the system is placed in Sirius. You can see the Edge nebula, the Barrier nebula, the Crow nebula and the Walker nebula, each one closer or farther depending on where the system is. If you are gonna make starspheres you have to follow this rule. The only exception from this rule is when you are inside a nebula and it's so thick that you can't see farther in space. Make your new starspheres using any method as you see fit but if they don't reflect the spatial position of the system i am in they are still gonna be an eye sore to me, no matter how good they look.
(07-17-2014, 05:20 AM)sindroms Wrote: [ -> ]Any possibility for both and a checkbox to choose the one during the mod install?
Nope, as briefly explained they have different methods to make them. While the examples here use same base textures each variant is created differently, for instance vanilla one is actually a single simple greyscale texture with color done in actual model of the starscape, while modulated version is a multi-texture material with color baked into texture and extra channels used to amplify contrast.

(07-17-2014, 08:37 AM)Scumbag Wrote: [ -> ]Only one thing i have to say about starspheres is this. Every vanilla one shows where the system is placed in Sirius. You can see the Edge nebula, the Barrier nebula, the Crow nebula and the Walker nebula, each one closer or farther depending on where the system is. If you are gonna make starspheres you have to follow this rule. The only exception from this rule is when you are inside a nebula and it's so thick that you can't see farther in space. Make your new starspheres using any method as you see fit but if they don't reflect the spatial position of the system i am in they are still gonna be an eye sore to me, no matter how good they look.
All non-vanilla systems reuse vanilla starscapes, except Cayman and that one just falls out of everything else in the mod like it came from a different mod entirely.

Well, I'd say some starscapes in omicron systems that are being remade will probably have something on the background to give away their approximate location in Sirius, most but not all. Method of making starscapes is important as it sets for a different pipeline, hopefully not just for omicron update but for the rest of the stuff that needs updated starscapes as well. I'd avoid mixing them whenever possible for the sake of consistency as it is important they'll not look completely outlandish one to another. I could crank up on detail amount and texture resolution to original scale but it would instantly break immersion when you travel from one system to another and instantly notice vast difference in fidelity that also conflicts with low-fi of the rest of visual content (bases, ships, planets, etc) around them.
Vanilla is fine, and imo its better to spend more time on the glaring problems in system layout than spend time on trying to balance new starsphere concepts.
Vanilla Modulated. Everything that makes space look darker as it is supposed to be *looks at Omega 49* is welcomed. Although the Modulated looks nice as well.
(07-17-2014, 10:37 AM)Marabu Wrote: [ -> ]Vanilla is fine, and imo its better to spend more time on the glaring problems in system layout than spend time on trying to balance new starsphere concepts.

It took about 15-20 minutes in total to create these example. I manage my own time and focus I can spend on modding content at my own sole discretion.
Pages: 1 2 3 4