Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Me no inglish - what to do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

OK, I've always protested against members of the community who attack indies on forums and post sanctions
instead of just talking with them and trying to resolve the matter. This time however i came to the conclusion that i don't know how to help them become better players if they cant understand my words.

its weird, i know...but this happened a while ago:

Chugoku....
Me (Dragoon's Greed; Indie Pirate/No tag): Halt trader! If you know whats good for you... hmm....I remember you...
DyDy (Indie Trader/Police tag): no tax me.
Me: I require 2 mil trader, you can give them to me or i will take it by force
DyDy: no tax I no kill you
Me: I will destroy your vessel if you don't pay up i believe its worth far more then petty 2 mil
DyDy: you tax i kill you
Me: You can try, now give me the cash
DyDy: kill me
Me: *sigh* PEW PEW BOOM!!!

few minutes later i stop a smaller trader in sigma 13 to talk about business, i didn't even use interceptors as i didn't plan on taxing him. Then a BH battlecruiser appears on the screen but i refuse to get scared over something like that so i continue my chat. The BH opened fire before he even reached scan range, even without the lame "engaging" line. I begin losing too quickly so I decided to flee, as i was fleeing in one constant direction i began RP like:

Me: "WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS? WHY DID YOU ATTACK ME???"
***DimSSS***(BH indie/BH tag): stop grly dragon
Me: "im not a dragon, and what is a grly?
***DimSSS***: Stop
Me: so you can blow me up? (i was in fact unreachable)
***DimSSS***: i kill u
Me: Why? Do you even know my ID??
***DimSSS***: dragon grly (i have a generic pirate ID and a rogue GB, + no tag. He attacked without scanning)

So, instead of showing you evidence that this in fact happened (i don't want him sanctioned yet.) youll just have to trust me.
Later i found out that it was the same trader i blew up few minutes ago. He doesn't seem to know the rules.

My question is: How can we help him? Can he become a valid member of this community or should I report him as a capwhore he currently is?

I'd suggest removeing his name from your post to halt a trail by forum lynching. I have ran into him and had to destroy every aspect I have met and just had to play my part with out mercy untill he learns or gets tired of dying.

I say you will be doing him a favor by reporting him for clear violations. In time he will learn why or go away. You cant help him if you dont know his language and you cant exspect him to contribute if he doesn't.

Just report that, your doing us all a favor.
Sure he breaks the Rules, but the main problem is, he might even do not know his mistake because, like you said, he cant understand English so he cant read the Rules so he makes mistakes and another problem, he cant talk (RP) with us.

Well i cant speak Japanese so i dont play on a Server where they only speak Japanese, why? because i cant communicate with them and so i stay out of this Community, i know it sounds hard but if ya wanna play here (with us) then learn English if ya refuse to work on your Language well, sorry, stay out of the Server (Community). :(

' Wrote:Well i cant speak Japanese so i dont play on a Server where they only speak Japanese, why? because i cant communicate with them and so i stay out of this Community, i know it sounds hard but if ya wanna play here (with us) then learn English if ya refuse to work on your Language well, sorry, stay out of the Server (Community). :(

Precisely.
' Wrote:OK, I've always protested against members of the community who attack indies on forums and post sanctions
instead of just talking with them and trying to resolve the matter. This time however i came to the conclusion that i don't know how to help them become better players if they cant understand my words.

its weird, i know...but this happened a while ago:
Chugoku....
Me (Dragoon's Greed; Indie Pirate/No tag): Halt trader! If you know whats good for you... hmm....I remember you...
DyDy (Indie Trader/Police tag): no tax me.
Me: I require 2 mil trader, you can give them to me or i will take it by force
DyDy: no tax I no kill you
Me: I will destroy your vessel if you don't pay up i believe its worth far more then petty 2 mil
DyDy: you tax i kill you
Me: You can try, now give me the cash
DyDy: kill me
Me: *sigh* PEW PEW BOOM!!!

few minutes later i stop a smaller trader in sigma 13 to talk about business, i didn't even use interceptors as i didn't plan on taxing him. Then a BH battlecruiser appears on the screen but i refuse to get scared over something like that so i continue my chat. The BH opened fire before he even reached scan range, even without the lame "engaging" line. I begin losing too quickly so I decided to flee, as i was fleeing in one constant direction i began RP like:

Me: "WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS? WHY DID YOU ATTACK ME???"
***DimSSS***(BH indie/BH tag): stop grly dragon
Me: "im not a dragon, and what is a grly?
***DimSSS***: Stop
Me: so you can blow me up? (i was in fact unreachable)
***DimSSS***: i kill u
Me: Why? Do you even know my ID??
***DimSSS***: dragon grly (i have a generic pirate ID and a rogue GB, + no tag. He attacked without scanning)

So, instead of showing you evidence that this in fact happened (i don't want him sanctioned yet.) youll just have to trust me.
Later i found out that it was the same trader i blew up few minutes ago. He doesn't seem to know the rules.

My question is: How can we help him? Can he become a valid member of this community or should I report him as a capwhore he currently is?
Actually in this case, Dim DOES know he is breaking the rules.. I reported him before for multiple violations of the cruise in combat rule, the reengagement rule, and the revenge-attack rule. He even posted an apology on the forums to the admins. Not in good English, but in English. So he knows the language. Thats him simply threatening you, but he knows what he did was wrong. I had a chat with him in game about it, trying to clue him in to the fact that he was breaking a rule by doing all of those. I got an 'I don't care, I kill you' line back everytime I tried.. So I reported. If you ahve evidence, simply report DimSSS, as he knew what he was doing, and the consequences.

For others.. Well it is an english-speaking server, and speaking english IS a rule on here.. If they can't understand english, the least they can do to be responsible, is attempt to translate, or have a friend translate, the rules into their own language so they can abide by them. Ignorance of the rules is no excuse, whether that be ignorance caused by simply not reading them, or speaking a different language.. But there are plenty of ways to translate text, and those ways do give you a readable translation.. Yes, try to explain to them that they are breaking rules before just instantly reporting, so as to give them a chance, but if they can't understand, thats not YOUR problem, thats THEIR problem since they are on an english server.

EDIT: Here would be where DimSSS says he read the rules, and he is speaking passable english. Any rules he breaks, he breaks with the knowledge that he is violating them. In his case, report. In others, do try explaining first. BTW, this would be the third time, of public knowledge, that he broke the rules. He has been sanctioned twice.. Both for reengaging.
' Wrote:Actually in this case, Dim DOES know he is breaking the rules.. I reported him before for multiple violations of the cruise in combat rule, the reengagement rule, and the revenge-attack rule. He even posted an apology on the forums to the admins. Not in good English, but in English. So he knows the language.

yes, now that you mention it, i've read it here.:angry2:

Yet he sounds so innocent.... im gonna tax his trader char one more time, give him one final chance. Ill pile up 50 screenshots so that the ban lasts longer should he try and fool us again.:rtfm:
I didnt know they was the same person, but now reading this, i now know he *attempted* to revenge attack me on Dims, but failed miserably, so i say: "Tag em, and bag em"

(soz for the quote from transformers)
Heck , just do what I do when I encounter someone who doesn't undersatnd me: repeat everything you say slowly, loudly and clearly, but as if you are talking to a mentally deficient or a four year old, or, ideally, both.

Me: "Hey creep, drop the drugs for destruction. They are contraband here."
Him: "No speak."
Me: "HELLO?! DRUGS ARE BAD. YOU-MUST-DROP-THEM-NOW, UNDERSTOOD?"

Now THAT'S roleplaying!

//edit I do work for the UN Diplomatic Service