Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: New Player
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I did "/restart beginner", built up a few million credits, and bought a "Gull Civilian Transport" and then things started sucking.

I checked the ship's infocard and she's only making 4800/35000 on power. So this means that I have *very* slow recharge on my guns. That makes mining impossible.

What am I doing wrong?

Also, is there a common progression of ships from "/restart beginner" to having my own station?

What about a combat progression from /restart {insert correct restart flag here} to maybe owning a large battleship?

Oh, on the server side, I have DSPM [Feb 2010 readme date] and DSAM 1.4.1 running. I had to move a DLL around to get DSAM running. Still, with DSAM, if I change certain aspects of my ship, the user's client will fail to start.

Any ideas on the DSAM failure?

Any other server-side programs I should look into using to manage a server?

Thanks all...
http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=93181
Have a read of this, it should answer these questions for you.
make it short?
you have the wrong id for that ship. gl
and no you cant restart wit a battleship Big Grin
Read the Beginner and the Mining guide. No real help on energy usage in either of those.

Anyway, I checked the ship's equipment and sold off everything that was "unequipped". I also confirmed that my default "Miner ID" was equipped.

I relaunched into space and now everything works great. I guess it was just too much unused equipment sitting in her holds or maybe the Miner ID?

Either way, it's fixed.

Oh, I didn't want to restart *with* a battleship. I wanted to know what the end-game paths were. I see I can own a station if I wish. I'd assume that was a "merchant" path starting with a shuttle and building up a trading empire. I wondered if there was a combat path that started with a fighter and ended with a battleship.
i think it was the id.

and there is no end. you can have in each system 10 battelships.
you can fight people, make a trading/terror/wthknows empire.
what ever you want. but itsnot that easy like it sounds
Quote: I see I can own a station if I wish. I'd assume that was a "merchant" path starting with a shuttle and building up a trading empire. I wondered if there was a combat path that started with a fighter and ended with a battleship.
Discovery doesn't work like your regular MMORPG, mostly because there's a very strict difference between moneysinks and moneymakers and the ability to freely transfer credits between all of your characters.

Owning your own station doesn't sound as appealing after you actually realise that getting it done is extremely expensive, either in terms of credits or time. Also, it requires daily supply of materials, which greatly limits where you want to place it, then you have to get the permission of local authorities, etc, etc.

As for the 'trading empire' idea, then sure, but remember that there's already a multitude of factions specializing in shipping stuff, so therefore you might consider joining one of these instead of trying to make one of your own.

There isn't a combat path because missions on this mod are ultimately pointless to do since they just don't pay off very well, wreck your reputation and are somewhat difficult when there's too many people on because of the lag.

Don't try to get a battleship as your first goal. Battleships are when you actually are settled in terms of money and don't have anything else to spend it on. Capital ship combat is much more difficult and different than snub combat (1. spam mines 2. ??? 3. profit).

As for a bit of cost calculation: the Liberty Dreadnought costs 480M, cap8 armor for it costs 900M (unless you want to go with peasant cap5 or 6). Then you must add the cost of guns (about 20M) and eventual additional equipment you want (cloaks, jumpdrives, docking modules etc).