Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Character Similarities
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, i've been doing some thinking lately. From what i've seen, each person who role-plays a character, gives them a few quirks here and there.

For example, all of my characters know each other to at least a semi-familiar degree, and the wide variety of them are intelligent in different fields (Scientists, Bankers, Political Workers). I just now caught myself thinking that I never made any characters out of these bounds.

What about you folks? Do you have your characters share a similarity boundary which stretches across all of them? Or do you have a wide variety.
Ok, time for some fun with this one.

Characters:
Finn McCool (Fionn mac Cumhaill) - Ex Molly, now Zoner. Smokes a lot and drinks. IRG Leader
Sadhbh McCool - Molly leader, wife of Finn McCool. Smokes and drinks.
Chris Gallaghar - Captain in the CR|, Cousin of Finn. Drinks heavily in Ambrosia.

Jake Vallon - "High" Marauder of the JM. Smokes copious amounts of Synth weed.
Michael Vallon - Director of Cryer, father of Jake. Smokes some.

Lou Marcus - CR| Movers. Drinks and smokes a ton.

"Tanis" - Order SOC agent
Ian Benis - LSF agent, brother of "Tanis"

Ships:
IRG|Eternal-Oisin (Conference) - Named after Finn's now dead son, Oisin
IRG|Fianna (Aquilon) - Named after the mythological followers of Finn
IRG|Nechtan (Corvo) - Named after a mythological god of Finn's childhood
IRG|Aillen (Nephillim) - Named after a mythological being slain by Finn
IRG|Diarmuid (Q-ship) - Named after one of the Fianna whom served under Finn

[M]-Caoranach (Vidar) - Named after a dragon slain by Finn
[M]-Almhuin (Shire) - Named after the home of Finn and Sadhbh

JM|-Golden.Kush-[X] (Collector) - Name of a marijuana strain, flown by Jake. All have Green Rheinland engines.
JM|-Kandy.Kush-[R] (Pilgrim) - Same as above
JM|-Sour.Diesel (Salvager) - Same as above
JM|-Sweet.Tooth-[R] (Raven's Talon) - Same as above
JM|-Widow.Bomb-[B] (Waran) - Same as above

So apparently all my characters for the most part, either smoke or drink, or both. Hmmm...

EDIT: Added ships that share a common trait/backstory, because yeah. Green man, green.
It's funny. Since I'm officially playing again, just earlier today I nutshelled my 3 oldest primary characters in a skypechat so I've had this kind of thing already floating around in my cranium

There's Matthew "Banger" Grim, an old man who joined the Gaian movement way back in his college days simply because he found that it was specifically easier to get laid at Gaian protest events than any of the others on campus...It wasn't until he failed upwards enough in the student movement & got a black hooded invite to Islay station that he met a crazy guy named Colin who was stealing money from the Green Front in order to fund a massive biosphere project in the lower, uninhabited caverns of the station.

About three decades later, Banger caught this little homeless kid on station named Damien McEwan picking his pocket & eventually took to raising him & put him to work on the biosphere project after learning the kid had a high aptitude for botany. It was Dimi's work that enabled plantlife to survive long term in the extreme climate of the lower caverns & was the one to give it the name "The Green Hell"

Another decade later when Dimi became of age, he joined the Guard & became a member of a Black Ops team named "The Plague Dogs" & took the codename 'Marburg'

The Dogs mission was to spread a targeted ebola-like plague specifically onto the enemies of the movement, but once Dimi found out that the C.O. of his team (Colin...the guy who originally started the biosphere project) was really trying to use the Dogs to infect members of the Green Front after they leaned of his decades of embezzling, Marburg called Colin out for a fight during an annual Gaian holiday festival down in the caverns, & in the middle of hundreds of cheering onlookers, ended the fight by ripping his C.O.'s throat out with his teeth.

In an unrelated event a few weeks later, Marburg's longtime best friend, Riley Mackenzie, who was a union organizer for the biosphere project, found the body of his wife Erin, shot in the back of the head by an anti-union splinter group & dumped in the Green Hell's water supply known locally as 'The Loch'

...Completely crushed & suicidal, Riley left the Gaians to go die violently in space. Before Riley could succeed in his suicide by Blood Dragon, He met a man named Malaclypse who convinced him to give Discordianism a try & if it didn't work out, he could always kill himself later...During his time in The TAZ, Riley learned from Mal the skills of how to amass obscene amounts of money, and after Mal passed away, he sadly left the TAZ, but instead of returning to the Gaians, he "officially" kept his independence and has done his part to quietly fund the Gaian movement from the shadows ever since.

Holy crap! That ended up being far more text-walley than I intended...sorry 'bout that : /
Since I'm a fan of christopher hitchens - rip, and his attitude toward dictators and tyrants, it takes shape in every character that I play with, even when playing as the "bad guy". I just don't think that pirates are bad by definition ( in disco ofc ) because I just don't think they kill people or intend to kill people right away, that category is preserved for terrorists. So even as I pirate I would still hate or oppose any "higher" authority. I don't play in unlawful factions for that very reason because I think too much "unlawfulism" can effect people inrl. Besides that, characters in lawful factions are also in this field of opposition given the faction makes others suffer and/or kill people.

In otherwords, all my characters share the same ideology, "dont believe in violence, believe in responding to it in kind"

( which might explain why I'm being called "angry zoner" whenever a riff-raff attempts to bully me with his mighty official-status golf club ) and his massive cap fleets.
All is on my profile. Haven't updated it for a while, though. I don't feel like doing it now.