Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Science
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Quote:Trade lanes are used for superluminal travel within a system.
Quote:superluminal travel within a system.
Quote:superluminal

[Image: yeah-science-gif.jpg]

On a serious note, how much are the freelancer distance units of measurement (m, K) compared to the regular, terran ones?
They're not. Freelancer is not to scale to anything in any way. The game was put together as it is to make it playable, not particularly realistic, so none of that happened.
Yeah, the sizing is a little.. awkward. Bases as big as planets in some cases even.

Because of that, I don't think there really would be any standardized measurement conversion to what we have.
su·per·lu·mi·nal
/ˌso͞opərˈlo͞omənl/
adjective
Physics
adjective: superluminal

denoting or having a speed greater than that of light.

Hey, Freelancer, just say good old "FTL travel", rather than using fancy words that makes you look smarter than us non-aerospace-physicists.
Quote:Hey, Freelancer, just say good old "FTL travel", rather than using fancy words that makes you look smarter than us non-aerospace-physicists.

According to my calculations, 1K is about 3,1 million kilometers. This is valid in the case of New York, in which Manhattan is somewhat Earthlike planet, and sun is somewhat close to Sol. This would make sense then that 3,1 * 45K from the centre of Manhattan to the sun in the middle is about 150 million km. But still, the tradelanes wreck the measurement, since if they would just have the speed of light, then you could travel from West Point to Manhattan in 0,16 seconds, despite 54K or ~168 million km distance between the two.
Why did I even click on this thread...
OK, I give up...why did you click on this thread?
(07-29-2014, 11:37 PM)Protégé Wrote: [ -> ]On a serious note, how much are the freelancer distance units of measurement (m, K) compared to the regular, terran ones?

Yes.
[Image: 53100979.jpg]

:| 'cause flood
[Image: OsUQUfz.png]

You are welcome
Pages: 1 2 3