Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Questions for the Modders and Igiss
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Some of you may have noticed my recent call for assistance on a couple of topics.
Honest Advice

This is a more specific question. I am looking at a few options for things and I was curious if the trade lanes and the Jump gates OR jump holes can be modified visually? For example, like the Dom' Kavosh gate. If anyone with definitive knowledge on this please let me know. Also I am curious if you can make the gates factionalized? Example would be to somehow treat them like a docking ring or something..

Thanks for the help
Killhappyfool
its been brought up, and it appears not to be possible. or not easily. - furthermore, can it create a severe imbalance of factions gameplay. - gates and lanes are always lawful. - unlawfuls would have to travel through jumpholes only, which are sometimes in such a bad place that no invation of any significant scale would be possible.

however - some gates should be guarded by heavy ... and i mean VERY deadly turrets, that can singlehandedly severely damage even battleships and waste fighters within seconds, so that they cannot be used as a ooRP shortcut ( like alaska )
Treewyrm is making Nomad TLs
One idea i didnt think was important enough to make a thread about is:

there are many non-story un-finished tradelanes, if the next version is about several years past this version, then shouldn't the tradelanes and the few under-construction JG be finished? it would be accurate if you fixed this problem
Actually they can.On our server I had my modder make weapons platforms around a nomad planet,and he wanted me to shoot one for testing purposes.As an admin on said server with my admin ship I said "sure,why not"......

Needless to say I lasted about 15 seconds,and that was with a mk3 Liberty dread,mk8 cap armor,AND admin shields will a full load-out of 1200 botts and batts.

so...yes...it CAN be done,at least for the weapon platforms and dockrings....trade lanes...I wouldn't want to do.
Ok well if someone is making a different form of a jumpgate then my idea is possible. As for the finishing construction of the jumpgates and lanes.. well maybe someone should start a certain group aligned with a faction who happens to own a monopoly on the technology.... oh wait that is what I am working towards.:D
The jumpgate idea would be a simple replace of the model in theory.
' Wrote:Ok well if someone is making a different form of a jumpgate then my idea is possible. As for the finishing construction of the jumpgates and lanes.. well maybe someone should start a certain group aligned with a faction who happens to own a monopoly on the technology.... oh wait that is what I am working towards.:D

there is already a company with a monopoly on them, Agiera buildt all or most of the jump gates since they were the ones to invent them. its in their info card.
Only issue is that they lost control over all the tradelanes outside of Liberty really. If any nation truely wanted to, they could create their own lanes by simply analysing the lanes etc in their space or even contacting the Lane Hackers who would of course want to help damage Ageira's profits.

Thing is though, why would you build a different design?
Different jumpgates and stations would be great since they both can logically be improved (and in game mechanics) but tradelanes could only be improved by upping the speed inside them. The issue with that is game mechanics, you can only change the speed of all tradelanes, not one or two specifically.
Of course, that's mainly speculation. All it took was one extra line in a single file to allow multiple cruise speeds for different engines, something people had wanted for years.
//err quotes aren't working and I don't know why...//

[quote name='Jazz' date='Sep 7 2008, 06:23 AM' post='347450']
there is already a company with a monopoly on them, Agiera buildt all or most of the jump gates since they were the ones to invent them. its in their info card.
[/quote]

Wow.. didn't think I would have to expound on this. No one has created a player faction for Agiera yet (woops cats out the bag. Guess I better get started. :laugh:)

[quote name='Linkus' date='Sep 7 2008, 07:21 AM' post='347486']
Only issue is that they lost control over all the tradelanes outside of Liberty really. If any nation truely wanted to, they could create their own lanes by simply analysing the lanes etc in their space or even contacting the Lane Hackers who would of course want to help damage Ageira's profits.[/qoute]
The thing is that Agiera has taken painstakingly large steps to keep the technology a secret. Look at the info card on their tradelane parts. Every single one stolen has been recovered. ALL of them. No house would steal part of a ring or be caught attempting to investigate them for fear of losing the whole shebang. The shutting down of replacements parts would eventually lead to a near complete failure of a house's economy.

[quote name='Linkus' date='Sep 7 2008, 07:21 AM' post='347486']
Thing is though, why would you build a different design?
Different jumpgates and stations would be great since they both can logically be improved (and in game mechanics) but tradelanes could only be improved by upping the speed inside them. The issue with that is game mechanics, you can only change the speed of all tradelanes, not one or two specifically.
Of course, that's mainly speculation. All it took was one extra line in a single file to allow multiple cruise speeds for different engines, something people had wanted for years.
[/quote]

While I wish I could explain my reasoning for this questions. I can't let this cat out of the bag. Just know that I plan to try and change some things up. ;)
Pages: 1 2