Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Question...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been wondering, how come if you flee from combat you have to leave the system...You didn't die, you got away. So...if you got away, doesn't that mean you should be able to stay in the system?

Also, if a trader flees from a pirate, shouldn't that be the same thing?
the reason is not logical - but its only so that you cannot shield run. - fleeing from combat means that you can recharge your bats, bots, shields, ammo. - and if you had not to leave the system, you could engage the other player again, which is ... of course, totally logical.

especially when you consider resupply. - so when a pirate attacks a lawful at their homesystems, the lawful could - in a logical sense, dock, resupply and re-engage, while the pirate would suffer from a poor resupply, cause he is not allowed to dock there.

furthermore, capital ships that rely primarily on their shields could retreat ( and some are even fairly immune to train CDs ) - recharge their shields and re-engage. logical, too - plausible ... of course, allowed.... no.

so its a rule to keep a gameplay balance that has nothing to do with roleplay. its like switching chars. - when we took roleplay seriously, - a player that had 2 pirate chars of the same faction could of course, after having one of them destroyed, re-engage with the other one, cause..... the other one has not died. but the rules forbid it.

from the point of view of the one without this advantage, a fight could turn out to be pointless. - cause there re players with like half a dozen accounts. - add in a dozen chars that are of course totally different characters that only happen to be controlled by one player, but a player is of course ooc in a RP sense. - so he could, if taken seriously - engage an attacker a dozen times.

a battleship at a mooring fixture of a friendly planet could dock, restock, undock. - what you get is an indestructible battleship, no matter what you bring to destroy it - even if you bring 10 of your own battleships, you wouldn t be able to destroy that defender, if he has enough money.
Basically what Jinx said, it prevents people from fleeing fights and rejoining fully loaded with nanos, batteries and ammo.
Just make sure you read the rules carefully, there are lots of folks around here that derive their own definition of shield running. As far as rules are concerned checkout rule 5.6

Quote:5.6 If a player engages cruise engine or docks during a PvP fight, this player is considered fleeing. The fleeing player must leave and may not re-enter the system where the fight took place with any of the characters on his/her account(s) while the enemy (player or players involved in the fight) remains in the system, but no more than 4 hours.

However, the fleeing player can re-engage at will if chased.

rest of the rules at http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4040
' Wrote:its like switching chars. - when we took roleplay seriously, - a player that had 2 pirate chars of the same faction could of course, after having one of them destroyed, re-engage with the other one, cause..... the other one has not died. but the rules forbid it.

I have a scenario here about switching characters that i am uncertain about. I spend 90% of my game time in a freighter - its the best freighter in the game - but it would struggle in a fight against a more nimble opponent. So, if I had some unwanted visitors around Trafalgar, could I RP that I was docking my ship & calling in a superior fighting vessel. If we hadn't engaged then I don't see a problem, even though a war of words has started. But if having mentioned swapping ships, they start firing at me am I suddenly OORP for trying to RP myself into a more equal position?

My other ship is a Percheron - doh
i think it would at least be very bad sportmanship. - "a better fighting vessel" is a ship that can overpower the other one. - it can also be a battleship. now you have not said you would switch to one - but its the same principle.

it would be like switching a trader for a battleship for revenge.

or being on a ship when you want to go somewhere, then you look at the chatlist and see several capital ships where you want to go. - switching to your own battleship is bad, too. its metagaming .... simple as that.

it might make sense in RP.. and of course, a char could dock and inform another char that happens to have a better ship about the threat, at which time the other char launches. - in such a situation, i d always suggest to think of the worst possible way to "exploit" it. - one can make rules excluding such situations, but then the rules can easily become very complex, very disturbing and in the end.... not enforced.
If my other ship is a Percheron - I'd rather stay & fight in my TRF. *can't seem to shake the light fighter*

It was more of a hypothetical question & I do realise there is a dividing line between what is logical & what makes a better game. If I know I'm going to die its illogical for me to stick around & take one for the team, but I also agree that it is poor gaming to just speed dock onto an impervious station & wait out the storm.

I'm not a fan of metagaming (e.g. Datastorm link:nono:) but if your playing a navy ID it could be argued that local authorities, satellites or concerned traders will report in that they saw 2 Corsairs in Cambridge - one in a Titan & another in a Huntress & for the navy to equip themselves appropriately for that fight. More specifically if pilots discuss what they have picked up on their scanners with naval forces, is it so wrong for the naval forces to prepare the right fleet to meet this threat head on?
' Wrote:the reason is not logical - but its only so that you cannot shield run. - fleeing from combat means that you can recharge your bats, bots, shields, ammo. - and if you had not to leave the system, you could engage the other player again, which is ... of course, totally logical.

But doesn't the "no re-engaging" rule stop that without the person necessarily leaving the system? I mean they aren't allowed to attack the person they ran from for 4 hours regardless of what system either player is in.
' Wrote:But doesn't the "no re-engaging" rule stop that without the person necessarily leaving the system? I mean they aren't allowed to attack the person they ran from for 4 hours regardless of what system either player is in.
This is to prevent people from being annoying. The character who had engaged you perhaps is bound by his RP to put you out of the system for good (ex. if he is a policeman and you are a pirate). If it was allowed for you to flee, but not "flee", he would have to keep chasing you forever until you decided you were ready to die. This rule is much more about gameplay than roleplay.

It's considered that you don't want to have the same fight over and over again.
Sorry, walked away from this post and let it stray.

Why cant the rule allow you to stay in the system but not re-engage the combatant unless they re-engage you?

This is the scenario...

*Lalalalala, minding my own business in my fighter*

"Oh NOES! A liberty cruiser and a liberty gunboat!"

*Bam Bam*

"Ouchies! Run! He's gonna kill me with his 1337 guns!"

"Whew, got away..."

"//You gotta leave the system now, i was gonna cap whore you and you ran...Rules are rules."

...Uh, i got away...shouldn't that mean i win?

EDIT: read the post above...If they decide to re-engage me after i flee that is their choice, and my choice to stay knowing the consequences.
Pages: 1 2