Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: SWG vs EVE vs FL
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have access to SWG and am currently updating and installing. The first real Con ive noticed is no smuggling, boo (hoo). Does anyone here play it, or did they? I know a lot of star wars fa... *ahem* fans don't like it but I'm not a fanatic. What are the pros and cons of that vs. Discovery? Also I've heard a lot about Eve online, what are the pros and cons of that?

Thanks in advance.
I'm pretty sure most people left SWG after they changed it.
SWG hasnt been good in over 4 years. It used to be, before the CU... but that one 'upgrade' ruined everything fun about the game.
The game is alot easier now since said update. I played it and I did enjoy some aspects of it but others...kinda just killed my fun. Its not as challening as I use to remember
seems like i might like it if i never played and liked it before, well see I guess.
i havent played eve online but ive read quite a bit about it.

i get the idea its more a job than a fun open ended space sim. to get anywhere in eve after a while you need to join a corporation and obey the executives. this isn['t he case in discovery -- in discovery you can go do your own thing and still be successful (so far, i think).

ive heard eve online's gfx are good but FL's gfx are fine for me.

re; SWG --is this the once which lets you use the Force? if so, thats all i know about it and that the gfx were not bad.
EVE's graphics arnt "good" they are amazing. You cannot compair freelancer's graphics and EVE's its on a totally different level. That is like compairing the powerpuff girls super adventure to Assassins Creed in terms of gameplay
they are three different genres so comparing them is hard. SWG and EVE definatly have better graphics, you won't find -much- RP in SWG and i found it a tad boring. EVE you have to pay per month (I think on SWG too). EVE is a lot more complex then FL and a lot more -serious-.
Yeah...Powerpuff Girls win, hands down.
' Wrote:i havent played eve online but ive read quite a bit about it.

i get the idea its more a job than a fun open ended space sim. to get anywhere in eve after a while you need to join a corporation and obey the executives. this isn['t he case in discovery -- in discovery you can go do your own thing and still be successful (so far, i think).

ive heard eve online's gfx are good but FL's gfx are fine for me.

No, joining a corporation is NOT a requirement by any means. You start in what most players refer to as a 'noob' corp. It'll be either a military, training school, or merchant corporaton, depending on how you set your character up. There are no ranks and no leadership in these corporations, nor a tax. You go around as if you were in no corp basically. You can do just about everything you want to do whether you are in a corp or not.

The difference is, corps can help you advance MUCH quicker, getting you into the fun elements of EVE, rather than the first month of mission/mining boredom. Getting in a corp can get you up to cruiser level ships within the first week and teach you how to use it effectively. Or similar for mining-type characters. There are several player corporations made specifically to teach new players the basics and get them set up to be able to fend for themselves.

Corporations are also good because you can meet new friends in EVE, which is important if you did not join the game with friends who already play, or joined same time as you. Human interaction is a very big part of EVE. The market is 90% controlled by other players and what they sell. Most things sold on the market in terms of equipment and ships are player-built and then player-sold, so you CAN have an effect on the economy.

Besides, most corporations you'll join as a noob are corporations familiar with working on new players. These corporations are NOT going to go around ordering you about. Most of them will be as laid back as the factions here on Disco. Some are even more laid back than Disco factions. Any of the job-type requirements and responsibilities in a faction are usually done by the corp's CEO and Directors, or high-ranking members.

I'll use Conflict of Interest as an example. Mar Shall (formerly Romer here on Disco) is our CEO. He does around 40% of the work for the corp, and then does about 80% of the laboratory operations such as researching and manufacturing. In part because he has the necessary skills that make his character more efficient at it, while my character is more combat-oriented, and in part because its what he has been doing for a long time. I do the rest of the work for the corp (paperwork, managing members, titles, roles, Starbase, etc), which would be 60%. The members below Mar and I have no real responsibilities at present. In the future, when our current members are more able in terms of skills, we may give them responsibility over certain aspects or locations, and might require them to participate in corporation-wide ops. But nooblets, as I refer to our new members, simply go about doing what they want/need, and get assistance from our more veteran members. This is what most corporations will be like. And if a corporation does get a bit to 'strict' in telling you what to do and/or how to behave, you can easily leave that corporation to go off on your own, or to join a different one.

' Wrote:they are three different genres so comparing them is hard. SWG and EVE definatly have better graphics, you won't find -much- RP in SWG and i found it a tad boring. EVE you have to pay per month (I think on SWG too). EVE is a lot more complex then FL and a lot more -serious-.
Yes, EVE has much better garphics than SWG and FL, especially when using the Premium Graphics client. I use the classic client, as I'm on a laptop, but the graphics are still quite good on that even.

About the complexity.. VERY true. Almost everything in EVE is more complex than FL. While this can occasionally be a problem, it also offers you better ways of doing something, able to do something more thoroughly, and gives you oppertunities that you can't get in FL. After awhile you'll get used to EVE and it won't seem nearly as complex anymore. We had a nooblet in our corp who had no idea how to use a cruiser efficiently, or how to 'tank,' that is able to keep your shield/armor regenerated faster than the damage you recieve. After about 2 hours of tutorializing him via EVE website and talking him through it, he could understand it completely, and hasn't needed help since.
Pages: 1 2