Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Ship modelling request: Lane Hacker shipline
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

[Image: TheLaneHackers.png]
Lane Hacker Shipline

Lane Hackers have received little to no development love in the recent years. With the introduction of Hellfire Legion shipline in 4.86 Spyglass has been removed while Flachion, Bayonet and Broadsword were open as a part of Borderwords series. Lane Hackers are now left with only l3GS-1 Lane Hacker Gunship that recently has been re-scaled and given a name - "Interrogator" - but nothing else. A petition to bring back Lane Hacker shipline was also rejected before release of 4.87. There is a need for a new Lane Hacker shipline to be created. We are looking for talented modelers who are willing to dedicate their free time to this project. If you have special expectations, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are willing to contribute to this project by all possible means - all within reason of course.

Requested models

While the ultimate goal is to create entire shipline, the biggest priority should be given to a very heavy fighter and the gunship.

Priority 1: Lane Hacker Very Heavy Fighter
Priority 2: Lane Hacker Gunship
Priority 3: Lane Hacker Freighter
Priority 4: Lane Hacker Bomber
Priority 5: Lane Hacker Heavy Fighter
Priority 6: Lane Hacker Light Fighter

Model requirements

Lane Hackers are the exact opposite of Liberty Rogues, they value efficiency over firepower, agility over armor and speed over powercore. Their ships are sleek, light and extremely expensive due to rare materials and sophisticated electronics specialized for their needs. Lane Hackers are few but influential - if a certain part costs three times more than its regular counterpart but is slightly better - they will go for it completely ignoring maintenance costs. Lane Hackers operate a bit like special forces. They prefer to remain undetected until they can swiftly intercept their target and quickly retreat afterwards. Their ships reflect this nature being hard to spot and specialized in escape techniques. All these traits should be incorporated in the design. While we think that sleek flat designs inspired by Bayonet will reflect Lane Hackers best, but it is obviously entirely up to the artist's vision.

Roleplay background

The new Lane Hacker shipline would be a result of Lane Hackers collaboration with Outcasts. Basing their designs on stolen LSF prototype in Operation Crimson Prometheus and experience from original LHX-F1A "Bayonet" Lane Hackers managed to create their own prototypes, and then refine them taking advantage of Outcast experience from development of new CQ series.

Work In Progress

Massdriver's LH LF (original concept)

This is original Massdriver's concept modeled and textured from scratch in bit more than seven hours.
[Image: MassdriversLFOriginal.png]

Massdriver's LH LF (smaller wings - third party modification)

Massdriver was kind enough to give me his source files so I can also play with his work and try out some modifications. This is a version with slightly smaller wings and shorter wing base.
[Image: MassdriversLFSmallerWings.png]

Massdriver's LH LF (horizontal wings - third party modification)

I also couldn't resist myself to check if the model can work as horizontal ship. I extended auxiliary engines slightly and attached to them ship's main wings. It appears that the model looks good both as vertical and horizontal design.
[Image: MassdriversLFHorizontalWings.png]

Massdriver's LH LF (stripped - third party modification)

Once I removed wings I was quite surprised to see a freighter. A modification of the cockpit area could turn this model base into a freighter of its own.
[Image: MassdriversLFStripped.png]

Reference Materials

Original Hellfire Legion/Lane Hacker shipline

Original shipline was created mainly for the Hellfire Legion (with the exception of the gunship) in times when the faction used Lane Hacker ID. After the Hellfire Legion received its own dedicated shipline in 4.86 Spyglass battleship has been removed from the mod and replaced by Arbiter, while Falchion, Bayonet and Broadsword were moved to Borderworlds shipline and made open. We really regret this decision as especially Bayonet was a really attractive ship reflecting the faction. The only remaining Lane Hacker ship, the l3GS-1 "Interrogator" gunship, while having very interesting shape, undoubtedly requires some serious paint work.

[Image: OldShipline.png]

Interloper gunship by Durrandal

This promising model was completed by Durrandal in January 2012 but it never made it to the mod.

[Image: InterloperDesign.png]

Scorpion fighter by Dreganius

This promising project was started by Dreganius in December 2013, but shortly after he lost interest in Discovery and did not complete it. The first picture is a render with a bit of post-processing while the second is obviously the wire-frame.

Ship below has been canceled and it will not make it into the game. It is shown here only for reference purpose.

[Image: LaneHackerprototypesinOntario.png]

[Image: LaneHackerPrototypeLH-X5-BASE.png]

Looks nice , if you can make second Image a little bit bigger , I am also in favor of Lane Hackers Separate ship line
~Devil
Honestly, the base gunship design is wonderful for the Lane Hackers. It could certainly use some modernizing though.
It looks nice, it will be a pleasure shooting at it!
(09-24-2014, 10:05 AM)Vredes Wrote: [ -> ]It looks nice, it will be a pleasure shooting at it!
Or you could try shooting -from- it. Might be more pleasant.
(09-24-2014, 10:17 AM)Snak3 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-24-2014, 10:05 AM)Vredes Wrote: [ -> ]It looks nice, it will be a pleasure shooting at it!
Or you could try shooting -from- it. Might be more pleasant.

If that ship came in game, I may try it .
I would like to see, the lane hackers having their own shipline again like back in the old times. They are sorta of 'in need' of a new ship line as their original builds got removed/moved to borderworld ships. Except you want to see them hang around in Freelancer ships if that is, what you want from such a technologically advanced unlawful faction.
The GB reference model looks good, though. It's sad that the fighter, didn't made it. Would've loved to see you guys fly around with it.

regards,
Rebirth
Imo, a lane hacker shipline should follow a similar design concept to the resheph order recon cruiser and/or the lsf prototype recon cruiser. Simplified: a sleek, high tech hull shape that is decorated with intricate electronics arrays. Even a lane hacker fighter should be equipped for electronic espionage and surveillance, allowing the pilot an informational advantage in combat where others rely on physical advantages.

Personally, I've always liked the hackers as a criminal faction because they're capable of operating with the same degree of deadly professionalism as any house military or intelligence operative. That aspect of the faction should be reflected as closely as possible in their ship design.
Pages: 1 2 3