Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Need Help/Tutorial on various mods installation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yeah, so, I am planning to try out a few more mods for Freelancer, especially the Crossfire 2.0 which, might be released soon (or just the 1.9 for now) and a few more (if there are any others that are worth giving a try).

I already have Disco installed and would like to know if I need to uninstall Disco, reinstall the vanilla in different folders or something like that. So basically, a start from scratch help needed with installing Vanilla and other mods (Disco along with Crossfire + some other mods maybe from scratch.) so that I can try out each of them without having to uninstall one, to try out another. Hope I didn't confuse you guys much.
For those Freelancer mods without their own installers and/or they use FLMM, you will want to replicate your clean vanilla install into a separate folder for other mods. Depending on how lazy you are, and if you have a lot of free disc space, you can simply make a copy for each new mod you want to play. Assuming you've taken this option, it's better not to use FLMM and simply install each mod manually. Files that come in the format .zip.flmod can be unzipped normally by renaming the file type to .zip (since the .flmod extension is just for convenient use with FLMM). Unzip the mod into a blank folder, and then copy the files over the copy of vanilla FL you made specifically for that mod (alternatively, unzip it directly into the replicated vanilla directory if you're confident with your understanding of the process). Always say yes to file over-writes.

Remember: always delete (and maybe back-up) your single player saves before switching mods!

Discovery is not affected by having other Freelancer mods installed (all required files are contained in its own directory during mod installation), but always keep your original vanilla installation clean to avoid headaches when you need to reinstall.
Thanks. This helped.

*sighs* Can't find the save games for vanilla missions :\
Oh crap, something went wrong. I just started the new game and unlike installing it via FLAM, the game has overlapped files it seems. The start up screen is Crossfire esque but the buttons are still vanilla and the loading bar, the voices are all bugged/overlapped. Any way I can solve that. Just noticed that after I actually, played the game instead of just looking at the intro.
(09-25-2014, 04:22 PM)Moriarty. Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks. This helped.

*sighs* Can't find the save games for vanilla missions :\

C:\Users\...\Documents\My Games\Freelancer\Accts\
(09-26-2014, 06:02 PM)Moriarty. Wrote: [ -> ]The problem seems to be my Crossfire installation overlapping the Vanilla files, as apparently, the FLComp needs Vanilla files untouched by Crossfire mod files for working.

So, after failing with installing Crossfire in a different Vanilla folder (due to issues with bugged sounds/loading screens and other such things), as suggested, I had to install it using FLAM on my main Vanilla folder. Everything was working fine...and then my FLComp didn't respond while playing Disco (see above). Had to unistall everything and had to reinstall again.

If anyone has any alternate suggestions for this, please do share, as I would like to play Crossfire SP and at the same time, have my Disco gameplay unhindered :\