Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Tutorial: Character information card [showinfo]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Character Information Card

/showinfo -- /setinfo

-- Intro
Discovery has an interesting feature that I learned about very recently. These are character info-cards that you can make for your character, that can be displayed for everyone using a command /showinfo. In this guide I will attempt to show you how to make one for yourself. They're very useful if you develop a complicated story for your character and want to share it with people.

-- Checking other people's infocards
You can check people's infocards in two ways. The first one is to bind a key to this function in the options menu. The keybinding is Show Player Info. I personally prefer to have it on Shift+F9 as it's quite similar to F9 which displays the normal infocard by default.

The other way to do this is via a Hook command.

Code:
/showinfo [me]

By typing /showinfo alone you will display the infocard of the person you currently have targeted. By typing /showinfo me you will display your infocard. The command will output an error if the target has no infocard, is invalid or you don't have anybody targeted.

-- Setting up your own
You can set up your own infocard using the following Hook command.

Code:
/setinfo (paragraph) (action) [content]

The first parameter, paragraph is the paragraph you want to edit. Your infocard can have up to five paragraphs, but it's generally in the good taste to put your character's name in the first one. Your infocard also cannot exceed 1000 characters of length.

The second paramter, action, takes two values, either a or d. A stands for append and will add the content of the third parameter to the paragraph you selected. If the paragraph is empty, it will create it. The second action, delete, will delete the paragraph altogether. Note that if you have, for example, three first paragraphs filled and you decide to delete the second one, the third one will not take place of the second. The second paragraph will be empty while third will have the content.

And finally the last parameter is the string of characters you want to put into your infocard. Leave this empty if your action is d.

-- Outro
This feature is very helpful to see what character you're roleplaying so that they can more closely approach you and maybe engage in fun interactions.

Here are a few examples of what you can do with this feature.

http://prntscr.com/4r3qad
http://prntscr.com/4r3qiv
No feedback yet?

Well, it looks good what you've written there. It will help hopefully to increase the rate of players using this feature. As it could be useful in many ways, finally someone wrote a tutorial after all that time.

regards,
Rebirth
Personally, I set a hotkey 'U' to act as a 'scan' button of people's infocards. I've yet to even find someone with on. I've had mine set forever now, I'd like to see something more often! Good work on this, since its obvious that most newer players don't even know they can do that, its great to give it a bump every so often!
Very nice tutorial. It just needs a small example (in my opinion). I've prepared the following one using OP's formatting:

-- Example
Code:
/setinfo 1 a TITLE OF THE INFOCARD
[Image: ZhqEyiz.png]

Code:
/setinfo 2 a Text in second paragraph.<space>
[Image: IFqxdSM.png]

Code:
/setinfo 2 a Some new text in second paragraph.
[Image: vfOxOWU.png]

Code:
/setinfo 3 a Text in third paragraph.
[Image: pjt5WOm.png]

Code:
/setinfo 2 d
[Image: 4beSXVy.png]
I was completely unaware of this feature until someone pointed it out to me in-game, actually.

If possible, I think it'd be a great idea for the admins to announce the existence of this from time to time in-game, or add it to the auto-broadcast that occasionally lists some of the important rules. Merely a thought to increase the usage of this excellent feature.