Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Points of View.....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Mkay, this is something I have noticed over the past few days, especially over a certain faction that rhymes with Mounty Munters...

So, why is it that we all feel the need to force our views onto everyone and everything around us? I mean, seriously, Roleplay is dynamic. If we believe that the war between the Corsairs and the Outcasts will never change, what is the point of even playing it? Can we all agree on the way it will go? Not in a million years, but that is why we roleplay ingame, make things happen, and hope that our faction will come out on top in the end.

Now, is it wholly possible for an Outcast and a Corsair to meet and talk with each other? Well, it happened, on Yanagi, to be exact. It is there in the rumors. Can someone roleplay it? It's far-fetched, but yeah, we all can, depending on how we all look at it.

Now, then, some people might think that wrong. Well, here is a hint, guys, roleplay isn't as simplistic as a lot of us make it out to be. For absolutely every action you take, there is a consequence. If you shoot at BAF while smuggling, expect them to try and catch you and fine you harder than before. If you equip Corsair guns on your Mercenary, don't expect all Outcasts or Hessians to trust you. If you fly a Junkers tag, expect Kusari to look at you with suspicion. Consequences are all a part of Roleplay, even the base of roleplay, and even these examples are quite simplistic.

If we take this into perspective, we can accept some consequences as not being realistic to Roleplay. If a person loses all four limbs and his liver in a firefight, and sits for five hours before going into surgery, and he survives, will it be realistic? Not really. If an LPI goes mad and roleplays going over to the Rogues and flies his Patriot to Buffalo, is it realistic? Until his patriot explodes, yeah, but he sure better change his ship the moment he dies. By this, the consequences of our actions can deem what Roleplay is appropriate and realistic.

So...Why is it that totally realistic things are being shot down by all sorts of people?

Examples:
Corsairs don't have to just shoot at Outcasts, they can talk before killing each other....

Bounty Hunters can think of themselves as Sirius Police, in some places it is what they are...

Can someone pose as a Cryer Shipper who brings artificial Cardimine to Houston for experimentation on prisoners when he is really smuggling? Probably, but how many people will believe him?

Are these things really reasonable? Yeah, they really are.

There is more to this server than "MY OPINION RIGHT! YOU WRONG! ENGAGING! PEW PEW!" Honestly, at the end of the day, does it really matter whether you won a PvP fight or a flame-fest on the forums, or if you debated with someone ingame intently about your ideals and faction goals? Well, it really depends on you. What makes you sleep at night? The fact that you crushed that other person's reasonable idea of how he should play?

I don't think so. I don't want to think so. I came to this server because of the hub of creative thought and intelligent that it is. I like to think that we're all here to express our ideas, not stomp on everyone else's opinions.

Of course, never will we all agree. All of us, everyone of us will think differently about something and oppose someone else's views. Is it wrong? No, it's just human nature, but we must all remember that other things are possible, and if someone presents adequate reasoning as to why they should do something in a roleplay sense, there is no reason to disagree with them adamantly, even if you don't like what they're doing. But why do we find the need to crush each other while doing it? What is so wrong about some of the things people present?

Now, it's nice and late, and this might be incoherent for all I know (Like I double-check my posts!), but I don't really care. I'll wake up in the morning and see what kind of damage I have caused, and hopefully it isn't anything at all.

EDIT: Wall of text ftw! :crazy:
Sorry, couldn't read past Mounty Munters:lol:
' Wrote:There is more to this server than "MY OPINION RIGHT! YOU WRONG! ENGAGING! PEW PEW!" Honestly, at the end of the day, does it really matter whether you won a PvP fight or a flame-fest on the forums, or if you debated with someone ingame intently about your ideals and faction goals? Well, it really depends on you. What makes you sleep at night? The fact that you crushed that other person's reasonable idea of how he should play?

I don't think so. I don't want to think so. I came to this server because of the hub of creative thought and intelligent that it is. I like to think that we're all here to express our ideas, not stomp on everyone else's opinions.

Of course, never will we all agree. All of us, everyone of us will think differently about something and oppose someone else's views. Is it wrong? No, it's just human nature, but we must all remember that other things are possible, and if someone presents adequate reasoning as to why they should do something in a roleplay sense, there is no reason to disagree with them adamantly, even if you don't like what they're doing. But why do we find the need to crush each other while doing it? What is so wrong about some of the things people present?

Noted.

Zapp, your sig is contributing to global widening.
Mounty Munters for the win!
I'd throw myself on people instead of being opinionated but i have formed no opinion therefore no throwing or forcing of any kind from me.
Long Live The Governor Of Sigma 13!!!:yahoo:
Well Bacon, that's just your point of view...

:P
I agree with bacon, i have felt quite opressed at times ingame and on forums because my idea of roleplay is the same as discribed above. Just because someone doesnt like what you are doing doesnt make it wrong or OORP.

E.g:

A pirate talking with police before attacking, catching them off guard
Characters having individual reps so that they can dock at non-faction bases
Police in pirate systems,and visa-versa
NOT blasting someone just because they are red on the IFF

I agree that most of the rules in place are a gross oversimplification of roleplay that push us into NPC roles. Corsair, outcast police ect... What we could have is a set of diverse characters with their own goals, motivations, freinds and equipment.
' Wrote:E.g:

A pirate talking with police before attacking, catching them off guard

Well, that counts as lack of fair-play and I'm pretty sure good role-players would give the opposition a chance to react.

' Wrote:Characters having individual reps so that they can dock at non-faction bases
Police in pirate systems,and visa-versa

That's why they created the special role-play section.
' Wrote:Well, that counts as lack of fair-play and I'm pretty sure good role-players would give the opposition a chance to react.

Yeah because role-playing well demands you're fair ... Because pirates taking hard-earned trader money is fair ...

*sigh*
People have different opinions that is why we have rules. And now we have a place for people to put their strange RP ships/characters to get approved. I think things are moving in the right direction.
Pages: 1 2 3