Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Zone of Influence in Border systems (not border worlds)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So yet again when flying through Magellan I am hastily stopped and taxed illegally for my cargo (pirated:P). Much to my dismay when I contacted the local Navy I was informed that this location was not under their jurisdiction. This has come as a surprise considering I flew past at least 2 navy NPC patrols on my way out.

So my question again is: What is used to determine the ZOI for factions aligned to pre-existing NPC Factions?
Is it where you find the NPCs or where the RP says it is? Or maybe a mix of both?
The navy has a Zone of Interest in Magellan, not a Zone of Influence there so to speak.

They do not have any jurisdiction there, however they do have patrols in Magellan to ensure a military isn't invading Liberty, etc.
the ZoI is based on the factions ( the NPC factions ) lore and roleplay. - the presence of NPCs means nothing and is only brought into an argument when it suits the side pointing it out. ... examples are..

navy NPCs in delta. - they do have business there, but no influence
BHG NPCs in alaska. - they do have business there, but nowhere near as much as the NPCs show ( igiss intended them to have, but the playerfactions cut their right down to the minor jumphole )

other than that - there are factions claiming influence in parts of the galaxy where there are no NPCs of them, - based on roleplay. - like nomads in newcastle, nomads in new york. LSF basicly everywhere or the order that has NPCs only in a very restricted part of sirius, yet they do have business in a much larger part.

so, the presence of NPCs means nothing. it may be used to justify the more simple cases ... but when it becomes more complex, they are rather meaningless.
If we were to stick to the 'NPC rule', Xenos would have no business in California, Hackers would have to avoid Texas, Hessians couldn't go to Hamburg or Frankfurt, really. You get what I'm saying? Sometimes we invent our own ZOI, but it has to semi-conform to where the NPCs are.
To quote a Rheinland Police NPC from the Border Station in Stuttgart: " No rheinland life should be wasted on defending that piece of space that rheinland can never get its hands on"

(since there are treaties saying those system will remain independent).

I'd say that if a trader calls for help from there you might come (just on your half of the system though), unless there is some special other threaty (like in S13).
Magellan is a independent system so is Kepler, Bering, Gallileo and many others
' Wrote:If we were to stick to the 'NPC rule', Xenos would have no business in California, Hackers would have to avoid Texas, Hessians couldn't go to Hamburg or Frankfurt, really. You get what I'm saying? Sometimes we invent our own ZOI, but it has to semi-conform to where the NPCs are.

Zapp is correct once again.
' Wrote:other than that - there are factions claiming influence in parts of the galaxy where there are no NPCs of them, - based on roleplay. - like nomads in newcastle, nomads in new york. LSF basicly everywhere

Well you can call for the LSF to be restricted to where their NPCs are located if you like, but you won't get very far:P
I'm of the opinion that BAF| should patrol Omega 3, and they should, in RP, push for RM to patrol Omega 7. The Rheinlanders, hoever, will not do so, in spite of the Bretonians holding up their end of the trade lane agreement.

(This is based on in-game rumours from BAF and BPA NPCs, as well as the fact that BAF NPCs patrol Omega 3 with gunboats.)