Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Newbie on the Forums
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Greetings Everyone,

I played the Original Freelancer Campaign back in 2011, and I have been enjoying playing on the RP server for a few months now. I am mostly involved in trading, mining and a little bit of smuggling. Role play is not my strong point, so if anyone has any tips on how to improve, they will be greatly appreciated.

I am very new to the forums, but hope to learn a lot and make a positive contribution to the community.

Thanks everyone, and see you in space

EDIT: Name changed for various reasons
Welcome! Enjoy your stay.
The name doe.

Hello.
Ah... tips on RP.

Well, I suppose we have about as much opinions on that as we have players.

In short : avoid Powergaming ( setting up a situation in wich you deny another character the possibility of reacting freely as he sees fit )
And : avoid Metagaming ( knowing about things you do not know about in character. Like reading a post with a police character and acting according to this knowledge with a pirate character )

Fact is : Rules are important to ceep gaming balanced, but they also restrict RP.
The trick is to stay inside the rules and conventions, but still *living out your dreams and ideas*.
Most roleplayers tend to fall in love for their own characters, and it´s hard to loose, hard not to *do what you like* ...
and essentially thats the whole secret of *good RP*

Find your own balance, let others play and dream while you play and dream yourself.
A nice tip I always give is actually a quote from Sébastien-Roch Nicolas de Chamfort :
Freely translated : Do what you like , as long as you harm nobody. That is the secret of freedom.

All you post , all you do : it will interact with the stories and ideas of others.
And how it will work you only learn by trying.
In a RP ... there are no real winners or loosers. Only gamers.
We all write a story... if you play to win, somebody looses.
If he looses interest you loose a player, and the ability to play on.

Well met ;-)

Rob
Welcome !
Hey, welcome!

Even though you already play here for a few months I'd dare to guess you can find quite some helpful things in the tutorials subforum.

Regarding roleplay specifically... There is a thread somewhere... here, which covers a good portion of roleplay related things, which might interest you then.

Anyways, enjoy your stay!
(10-18-2014, 08:55 PM)FynnMcScrap Wrote: [ -> ]Ah... tips on RP.

Well, I suppose we have about as much opinions on that as we have players.

In short : avoid Powergaming ( setting up a situation in wich you deny another character the possibility of reacting freely as he sees fit )
And : avoid Metagaming ( knowing about things you do not know about in character. Like reading a post with a police character and acting according to this knowledge with a pirate character )

Fact is : Rules are important to ceep gaming balanced, but they also restrict RP.
The trick is to stay inside the rules and conventions, but still *living out your dreams and ideas*.
Most roleplayers tend to fall in love for their own characters, and it´s hard to loose, hard not to *do what you like* ...
and essentially thats the whole secret of *good RP*

Find your own balance, let others play and dream while you play and dream yourself.
A nice tip I always give is actually a quote from Sébastien-Roch Nicolas de Chamfort :
Freely translated : Do what you like , as long as you harm nobody. That is the secret of freedom.

All you post , all you do : it will interact with the stories and ideas of others.
And how it will work you only learn by trying.
In a RP ... there are no real winners or loosers. Only gamers.
We all write a story... if you play to win, somebody looses.
If he looses interest you loose a player, and the ability to play on.

Well met ;-)

Rob

(10-19-2014, 10:20 AM)Deeceem Wrote: [ -> ]Hey, welcome!

Even though you already play here for a few months I'd dare to guess you can find quite some helpful things in the tutorials subforum.

Regarding roleplay specifically... There is a thread somewhere... here, which covers a good portion of roleplay related things, which might interest you then.

Anyways, enjoy your stay!

Thanks so much for the information guys
One advise about forums, do not visit Flood section Wink
Flood is BAD

BAD is FUN

FUN RULEZ !
Pretty much summary of it xD
Pages: 1 2