Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Civilian NPC's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We live in a time in Freelancer where anyone can make a bit of cash from anywhere. If you know what your doing.

So where are the civilians of the Houses? You know, going back and forth along the trade lanes which are the House highways and stations being the refuelling and community hotspots.

Where are they?

I'd see them flying in Starfliers or Starblazers, and some very rich folk in Eagles with Starbeams.

I know it would shove the lag up and stuff, but all there is are either company, pirate, police, military or factions.

Where are the Civilian NPC's?
Civilians pilot corporate ships, as is evident to any pirate that's ever played on this server.
' Wrote:Civilians pilot corporate ships, as is evident to any pirate that's ever played on this server.
No that is not what I am getting at. We have pilots in companies yes and have civilian backgrounds, but where are the CIVILIANS in like family ships or taking a stroll through the system, just a civilian. Civilian ID/tag if you will.
Interesting idea... Might be worth looking into.
Civilians would be those people who are otherwise known as cargo (or passengers). Most people wouldn't be able to afford their own ships anyway.

Still, it might be interesting to see the odd rich civilian in a family owned transport or something.
I like the idea as well. Would get some more RP going I think.
' Wrote:Civilians would be those people who are otherwise known as cargo (or passengers). Most people wouldn't be able to afford their own ships anyway.

Still, it might be interesting to see the odd rich civilian in a family owned transport or something.

I agree with this. Look at it this way, most people don't own airplanes. When they want to go somewhere they buy a ticket and fly coach if they are average and first class if they have moolah. True, there are some jet-setters who own and/or pilot their own aircraft but I think they are a small enough minority that the number of real players fill in that hole (i.e. Freelancers, independent traders and explorers)
You're thinking of ships as cars because thats how we use them. In actuality, the civilians in FL have the equivalent of cars on the planets that they live on. Monk explained the rest pretty well.
' Wrote:I agree with this. Look at it this way, most people don't own airplanes. When they want to go somewhere they buy a ticket and fly coach if they are average and first class if they have moolah. True, there are some jet-setters who own and/or pilot their own aircraft but I think they are a small enough minority that the number of real players fill in that hole (i.e. Freelancers, independent traders and explorers)
This is all well and true. But I think that analogy looks at the world of today. In Freelancer this is around a thousand or so years ahead. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

But as you said the few jet setters are freelancers, traders or explorers. Very true, but not all civilians dream of flying across the horizon and beyond, or intend to trade. They may just want to get to one place to another on their own steam without being crammed into a passenger liner, or something similar.

Its just that civilians need to start somewhere and seeing a few small civilian ships flying around would add to the 'free' universe. Especially in Liberty since they seem to be making so much money.

Maybe this could spark some new civilian ships to each house? Who knows, I think its a bit too late to start drawing them up for the next mod version. Maybe the next one eh?:laugh:
I don't think there would be enough of them to warrant setting up whole patrol paths through each house.
Pages: 1 2