Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: NaNoDisMo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
NaNoDisMo
[Image: niGBGTW.png]
50 000 Words. 30 60 Days.

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, it's that time of year again. No, not November. Well, yes, November. But not November as you know it. Your old, boring, slumber-before-Christmas November has departed and, waiting in its place, is the coffee-fueled leviathan that is NaNoDisMo.

What is NaNoDisMo?
The increasingly-inaccurately named NaNoDisMo is a blindly optimistic take-off of National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). It's a creative exercise that runs on imagination, wild ideas, and more than a little late-night caffeine. The goal? To write a 50 000 word novel in a month. Or, in our case, to write the same volume of in-character adventures by the end of December. Why?

Because that's what we do.

What counts?
Any in-character RP carried out on the forums between 12am on the 1st November and 12am on the 31st of December (Greenwich Mean Time) counts towards your total word count (stories and biographies, communications, message dumps, etc). Collaborating with other folks participating in the challenge is encouraged.

What do I get?
Besides a warm, cozy sense of self-satisfaction and a well-developed character? You also earn my eternal and undying respect and comradeship.

Cool, how do I sign up?
Easy! Just post in this thread saying you'd like to participate, and I'll add your name to the list (feel free to post here if you're not participating, too. Encouragement is the word of the day). Then, just post here with a word-count and thread link whenever you make an in-character post and I'll update your counter. Posting multiple threads in a single post is awesome, because then I don't have to do as much math. Here's a word-count template:

Code:
[b]Thread:[/b]
[b]Total Words:[/b]

For example:

Commissar Wrote:Thread: LNS Challenger Point (CC1228) (1225 Words)
Thread: The Lone Dome (283 Words)
Total Words: 1508

Good luck, and happy writing!

Writers
I'll give it a shot. Been meaning to do some forum RP anyway.
This could be interesting, sign me up!
NaNoDisMo reminds me kinda of idea of the Japanese Light Novel - minus the month thing. Those things rarely exceed 40 000 words per volume (adding full-page manga pictures time to time). I must challenge myself (non-Disco thing, sadly), because I have no self-discipline in writing at all - even though I am amateur writer... It's like I began about dozen of things and I have never finished any. Sad If I have been writing since 4 years ago, I would be finishing the third novel.
John and Wulverine, I've added you to the list. Good luck! Big Grin

Discipline's always the tough part. I've started and abandoned more stories than I care to remember. Here's hoping this time'll be a little different!

On that note, the first word count of the evening's done.

Thread: Order Of Battle (905 Words)
Thread: Exit Wounds (741 Words)
Total Words: 1646 (Thanks Microsoft Word!)
Thread: Pennies in the Rain (172 words)
Thread: Pennies in the Rain (425 words)
Thread: To: BMM | Southampton Engineering Dept. (106 words)
Total Words: 703
Well, I've got a bunch of RP to get done this month, so why the hell not? I'm in.
I'll uh, try it I guess.
Thread: George's Office (496)
Total Words: 496
Havok and Rod, I've added you to the list. Good luck! I foresee chrysalids in your future. Wulv, I've updated your counter. One K down!

Another update from my end. More coffee may will be required in future.

Thread: To: Liberty Navy
Total Words: 1373
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6